#16 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:50

I played the piano last night with earphones and it sounds alright with earphones.   I get what you mean because when I started the flute, I bought  a second hand flute for £40 from Oxfam and it was basically rubbish.  However, I did have 6 lessons on it and those 6 lessons enabled me to work out whether or not I like the flute sufficiently to pursue it properly and get a proper student Yamaha which cost me about £400.   Suppose I bought the Yamaha and discovered I did not like it?   

#17 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:52

Now I am a dedicated flute student striving to become as good as I can 

#18 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:54

Rimmers in Blackpool had a demo Yamaha P255 for £650 when I was in on Saturday which is almost half price so doubt it will be around long.

Sort of depends if you want a portable piano or not - if not there are lots of secondhand bargains around.

I would certainly have a look at Roland FP30, Yamaha P45 or P125, Kawai entry level (can't recall model no), don't bother with Korg B1 (haven't tried the SP280) or you have the newer Yamaha Arius YDP series although I thought the YDP were a compromise and inferior to the CLP range but I would have a good look at secondhand Yamaha CLP or Roland HP, you may be surprised what you can find for the money.

plus, since you have confirmed your current model sounds ok through headphones, you still have the option of using an external amplifier, you don't need anything very powerful for home use.

#19 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Member: 893086
  • SE London

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:00

I played the piano last night with earphones and it sounds alright with earphones.   I get what you mean because when I started the flute, I bought  a second hand flute for £40 from Oxfam and it was basically rubbish.  However, I did have 6 lessons on it and those 6 lessons enabled me to work out whether or not I like the flute sufficiently to pursue it properly and get a proper student Yamaha which cost me about £400.   Suppose I bought the Yamaha and discovered I did not like it?   

If I remember correctly adultpianist, you were *so* frustrated by your progess while using the "rubbish" flute and the fact that you couldn't get notes out of it properly that you wanted to give up playing altogether and dismissed peoples' suggestions that it may be the instrument at fault until you finally tried one that wasn't faulty and accepted what the problem actually was. 

A beginner often doesn't have the experience to tell whether the problem is them or not. Many give up in frustration.

#20 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 14:05

Some give up in frustration and others like me want to carry on but are frustrated.   The cheap flute did not put me off altogether and I stopped lessons because the teacher moved away and tried teaching myself from youtube and a book but I did not make much progress with that but something in the back of my mind kept telling me I should do it.   So when I was able to buy a better flute I did and found a new teacher and discovered that I could slowly progress and make a decent sound.  I still have that second hand oxfam flute which I will never get rid of.   I keep it put together and use it for finger practice to learn changing different notes

#21 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 24 April 2019 - 21:18

Have you decided to stay on this forum after all, adultpianist?

:unsure:

#22 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:11

My intention was never to leave this forum.   I was just frustrated at the lack of flute section and no matter how hard I try to bump one up people are not interested in a flute section.. 

#23 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:32

AP - your piano is probably flat not because it is faulty but because at some stage in the past the transposer has been used.  Either consult your manual and transpose it back up a semitone to concert pitch, or do a factory reset to get the same result - simply switch it on while holding down the very top key (C7).

The sound quality of any digital piano depends in large part on the speakers.  The built-in ones are very small and headphones or separate amplifiers will be better. Of course, there is nothing to stop you trying another model - you might look for a better touch, for instance, and it is always nice to consider treating yourself!

#24 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 25 April 2019 - 19:47

Yes, beginners need decent quality instruments not an out-of-tune digital, however cheap. Caveat emptor, obviously.

In fact it's a rotten trick knowingly selling something potentially duff to a beginner. Beginners in anything need the best their money can buy so that they are as near as the limiting factor as it can get. Beginners need to be as sure as they can that when things don't go right that it's them rather than the materials/equipment. 

With instruments it's probably best a beginner rents something until they're sure they want to proceed. A bad instrument won't encourage them. 

#25 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 25 April 2019 - 21:41

My intention was never to leave this forum.   I was just frustrated at the lack of flute section and no matter how hard I try to bump one up people are not interested in a flute section.. 

All good things must come to an end and for various reasons this forum no longer suits me so how do I go about deleting my profile?

Yes I think I will just stop posting.   I am not the only one who feels like this.  I recall seeing a post from Bagpuss saying she no longer posts on here except very occasionally.    I wish you all the best of luck with you music.   I really want an active flute thread and there is not one on here and I dont think there ever will be.  I have found a flute forum so I am going to join that one.

It did appear from your previous posts that you did indeed intend to leave the forum, adultpianist.

#26 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:48

Well it's lovely that you have stayed with us adultpianist! smile.png  I hope you find the solution to your piano problems.

Made me wonder, though, what happens to all the dead digital pianos? Is there a massive landfill where all that plastic sits about for fifteen billion years? I hope not! I hope it can all be re-used or recycled. Does anyone know?

I wonder if there'd be a market for someone taking on dead acoutsic pianos in their wooden cases and putting a digital mechanism in them? More environmentally friendly, prettier, and probably better sound with a wooden box rather than a plastic one. But I suppose acoustics are still very heavy.

#27 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:26

I am one (of many) who are irritated when I reply to a question, or react to someone's problem by digging up information which might help to resolve it, only to have the 'carpet pulled from under my feet'. It's my own fault but I don't like being caught out more than twice.

Going back over this and other threads, AP's thoughts in them, slightly adapted, remind me of the way I talk to myself when thinking things over.

"It's a pity there are not more folk on here who want to chat about flutes. It would interest me just to talk 'shop' from time to time, not just over exams and stuff."

"As I no longer seem to be getting much out of this forum, I wonder if I shouldn't just delete my profile and move on".

"Other folk say how good their accoustic piano sounds. Mine is really tinny and seems flat. My playing has improved and I think a better tone would be a help to my progress. Can I justify replacing my present one though? It's a lot of money. Perhaps I could sell the old one?"

Just thoughts.

#28 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:10

Lots of people post their thoughts on forums (fora for the pedants!) like these, and lots of people change their minds. Why pick on AP?

I wonder if there'd be a market for someone taking on dead acoutsic pianos in their wooden cases and putting a digital mechanism in them?

To EllieD - yes, there are firms which will put digital innards into an old case, e.g. Vale Pianos. An excellent idea for some of those beautiful old cases that still survive.  I think one of our forum members had this done but I can't remember who it was.

#29 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:14

Yes, some of the above comments are borderline online bullying. Quite unpleasant.

#30 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:26

I bought a Yamaha P125 in January, and initially I thought I'd done a good thing, but now I fear what will happen if it stops working - real pianos don't stop working, they just need tuning and the odd repair, but are you expected to ditch an old electric keyboard and buy another? It's just more conspicuous waste, isn't it, or am I missing something?