#61 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 07 February 2015 - 21:01

With PAYG, what happens when a student doesn't turn up or cancels five minutes before their lesson?  Do they pay for two lessons next time?  Does this cause problems with people not wanting to pay?  Also, is there a likelihood of students turning up frequently "forgetting" their money, thus resulting in having to pay double next time? 

I ask out of curiosity as I know of a few teachers who do this and it works for them, but one in particular lets people off with missed lessons and doesn't charge for them.  I personally couldn't afford to do this.

#62 AnnC

AnnC

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • Member: 6097

Posted 08 February 2015 - 00:14

They pay double next time. I've never had any problems with this and I've never had anyone forget their money. That said, I am flexible if a rearrangement will do instead, for instance in the case of minor illnesses. I don't charge for illness, no matter what the notice, even if I can't rearrange. With singing the body is the instrument, so illness affects the technique, and besides, I don't want to catch anything that will affect my ability to teach, so I don't want ill people turning up for lessons just because they have to pay. A few cancellations are better than me having to take a whole week off ill. There is, of course, an element of trust here, but you get to know who is genuine and I find most people are honest*.

I allow missed lessons for any reason without charge with adequate notice, (24 hours as per my Ts & Cs), because I teach throughout the year. In practice the vast majority actually take more lessons than if I observed school terms, so the only weeks without pay are my own holidays. I appreciate that this takes more of a toll on your income if you don't work for 12 weeks of the year.

*I've even had someone pay for four hour-long lessons in a row because they were unavoidably delayed at work and didn't know until the last minute. Not my problem, of course, but they could have said they were ill and avoided at least some of the fees.

#63 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 08 February 2015 - 00:44

There has never been snow in our city since I moved here in 1997 so that's a safe one for us.  One teacher I pay a term in advance - I would expect her to make up lessons she either misses or are missed as a result of a natural disaster!  Not one we are away for or sick for.  There are no T+Cs in place formally although she occasionally sends out a little things that mentions no refunds other than hospital or bereavement.   Having said that she makes up everything for us even if just away.  Usually by adding on extra time as we are last of the day.  I disagree about treating people differently too. There are pupils you wouldn't miss and there are others who are a pleasure to teach.  I have always found that teachers make up time for the latter not the former.

Then another irritating teacher who is paid per lesson at the time as he keeps changing the times and days.  Hate it.  Wouldn't dream of paying for one I miss as he wont offer a regular slot and does the fitting in when he feels like it.

Then there is the one who is always 2 terms in arrears with her billing....No idea what I pay for in the end but its a lot less than the time she gives! 

#64 Flowerpot

Flowerpot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Member: 705971

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:01

Another quick update - mother has suddenly become very nice and wants a "goodbye" lesson for her an her son tomorrow. I really hate those sorts of lessons when they're not done on good terms, she originally wanted to stop after half term and I said we may as well just stop now as the lessons probably wouldn't be very productive and I'll refund the money. now she seems unusually agreeable with loads of smiley faces in her last email. Weird.

#65 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:14

Another quick update - mother has suddenly become very nice and wants a "goodbye" lesson for her an her son tomorrow. I really hate those sorts of lessons when they're not done on good terms, she originally wanted to stop after half term and I said we may as well just stop now as the lessons probably wouldn't be very productive and I'll refund the money. now she seems unusually agreeable with loads of smiley faces in her last email. Weird.

It is weird and I too would find this uncomfortable. It sounds like a control/ power game and is pointless. If you have refunded her money then I'd say no - after all it's late notice and you must be busy with lots of other things!

#66 Flowerpot

Flowerpot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Member: 705971

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:30

Yep, I agree - I think it's a power game too. Anyway, I had responded but then I got a text asking me to respond to her email, and then another email an hour later telling me how shocked and surprised be is my by response (I'm guessing she means lack thereof, at least not within her preferred time limits).

Explained it was my sons birthday and I wasn't answering emails but am sorry she feels that way and will organise refund tomorrow (was tempted to add "as a mother, I'm sure you understand" hah!)

#67 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 08 February 2015 - 15:02

Just had a message from above parent to say they're not continuing with lessons!

Do your terms & conditions cover a notice period when giving up? Just wondering if the parent will pay for the notice priod (if you have this) or if she has not read this either?
No I don't have a notice period, as most are polite enough to give a week or two's notice anyway, and those that don't probably wouldn't pay it/ wouldn't turn up, or look so bored in lessons they don't want to be at that it would be a waste of everyone's time.
Overall I'm happy to do PAYG lessons, works for most people, (although at least half my students prefer to pay monthly or half-termly) pretty much everyone has always paid twice the following week if they've missed a week at short notice, no arguments.
I'm still very upset about this family. Knew them over 6 years, girls gained merits and distinctions in exams, no reason to suspect they were at all disrespectful, although I knew they were a little sniffy about money as they made a bit of a fuss when I raised my fees by a tiny amount to cover inflation. (The girls go to private school btw) Looks like they're not coming back. Will be awkward if I bump into them in town, had they thought of that? That is why I hate parting on bad terms, I'll have to put on my best rictus smile :)

#68 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 08 February 2015 - 15:22

Just had a message from above parent to say they're not continuing with lessons! No reason, no thanks, or anything. Unbelievable. Have sent a message back to say if they reconsider, I'll let them off the £9 and even let them off if the same thing happens in the future. I've taught them (2 twins) for nearly 6 years, at school then privately, and they're reliable, musical and hardworking so I'm happy to make an exception for them. Hope I've done the right thing and they do come back - but I won't give them a second chance after this. Really, some people.

I think you are being far too nice. Be careful because if they do come back they might well  try to walk all over you.