Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5987 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 August 2017 - 16:51

Does anyone have one? I would love some feedback on how good or otherwise these really are. :anyone:

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 02 August 2017 - 17:58

I met a couple a few weeks ago. They have electric bikes and go everywhere in them. They make easy work of our coastal hills. I could probably track them down via the village network and ask which brand they have if no one else has any info.

#3 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 02 August 2017 - 19:34

My singing teacher has one and loves it.  She says it makes the hills fun (she lives on the edge of the Cotswolds).

#4 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2017 - 20:33

Can they effectively be used as mopeds minus the CBT & licence (i.e. no pedaling), or do you still have to pedal?

#5 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 02 August 2017 - 20:57

I think the idea is to use it as a normal bike (i.e push the pedals and get the exercise) but resort to the motorised bit if the inclines get a bit too steep or you get too tired.
The man in the bike shop was chatting about them when I bought my (traditional, ordinary, hybrid) cycle a couple of months ago. Mine is a Bergamont (made in Germany, I think) and he told me this company also made motorised bikes.
No idea about whethet you need to tax the things, though!

#6 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 112435

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:01

Hi, I don't have one but we hired some recently in Austria so we could cycle up into the mountains - they are great!  The way they work is that they give you a little push when you start cycling and then support you a little bit on the flat but kick in more on the uphill.  You do have to cycle the whole time, it's not like a moped, but it's much easier going than a normal push bike so you can cycle further than you would otherwise and not worry about hills.  The ones we had had four settings, eco, tour, sport and turbo depending on how much 'ooomph' you need.  You tend to keep it on eco on the flat and then increase the setting when going up hill.  You need to have them on the whole time though as the bikes are much heavier than normal push bikes so it would be very hard going to cycle without the help.  I also met someone recently in the UK who has one and he said it was brilliant and when we were on holiday recently in a hilly town in Germany there were loads of old ladies gliding up the hills on them.  My boyfriend calls them 'the way forward' - we're fine on push bikes for now as most of our cycling is reasonably flat but I can see me getting one in the future.

#7 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5987 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:53

Thanks for the responses! I'm seriously looking into getting one of these as we have a few killer hills in our vicinity. Vicky Violin - thanks for your feedback; it's good to know how they work out in practice as I'm not in a position (ie location) to try before I buy - our local bike shop doesn't stock them, although will order them in. 

#8 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:02

I'm a reasonably-in-shape-but-not-sportsman 50-year male, who's cycled all his life. On quite a few occasions to my extreme chagrin I've watched a frail-looking OAP cruise over the horizon ahead of me (or steam past me effortlessly), only to realise as I catch them at the next traffic-light, they're battery-assisted. Although I've never ridden one myself, I can certainly vouch for their effectiveness. Either that or I'm not as reasonably-in-shape as I like to hope.

#9 greentone

greentone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Member: 4193

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:29

They do make cycling easier and allow a lot of people to cycle who otherwise could no longer cycle for health reasons. They are very heavy to push around when not cycling or if the battery runs out and you still need to cycle. Older people have increased accidents when starting and stopping. It's easy to go faster than you think you're going so people also misjudge corners in the beginning. I don't have one, but have tried one and read comments on them  as they're very popular so get discussed frequently but I don't cycle those distance any more . Think about the ease of recharging or distance radius. Some have detachable batteries so you can detach the battery  to recharge, but then so can battery thieves, others you have to get the whole bike to a charging point - which isn't an issue if you have a garage with power points but could be for city people. Some batteries are on the back on the carrier position, others are between the back wheel and the frame, so how easy are they to take off to recharge anyway?. 

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:20

We used to have a couple of pensioners who had electric assisted trikes and would cycle round locally.  They certainly improved the mobility of the individuals who were able to cycle to the shops and back.  The trikes were rather a nuisance because they were quite bulky and our roads are quite busy. I'm sure drivers' blood pressures rose slightly when they came across the tricyclists!

#11 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:37

Agree with Greentone that you have to consider quite carefully the placing of the battery and whether it is removable or not for recharge - especially if you're buying without seeing.  Also, look carefully at the range of the battery - some of the cheaper ones only go up to about 30 miles but this is based on a light person using the eco mode - if you're heavier and you are going up hill using higher modes your range will be a lot lower.  Also weight of the overall bike - some are over 20kgs!  Although I've only been on them once, I think it's probably one of those things where it may not be worth getting a cheap one.  The guy in the shop we got ours from said they cost Euro 3,000 and they were great, but I wonder what the £700 ones are like.  For us, the range was meant to be 100 km I think but our battery was running low towards the end of the day.  I'm not sure what sort of distance we did but it was definitely much lower than 100km but then we're both on the heavy side and did a lot of up hill.

#12 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5987 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 August 2017 - 16:08

Oh.....I seem to have bought one!! Delivery sometime next week. :D

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I've been speaking to a very helpful bike-man in South Wales, who gave me lots of advice, and have ordered a very smart-looking Raleigh.

Yum! :woot:

#13 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 03 August 2017 - 17:39

Oooh! Where in South Wales? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and this thread has piqued my interest some more.

#14 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5987 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 August 2017 - 21:29

Oooh! Where in South Wales? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and this thread has piqued my interest some more.

Will PM you.

#15 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:48

Ah brilliant - looking forward to hearing how you get on with it!