• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 July 2007 - 16:11

QUOTE(kerioboe @ Jul 16 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 16 2007, 11:00 AM) View Post

That sounds okay then! Though I would probably have to find some descant/tenor only music - I think I'm the only treble player in the school ohmy.gif (This of about 1800 kids? )

We only had one other treble player apart from me and she couldn't read the bass clef. The reason I said we didn't use all the recorders all the time was because I got bored playing bass all the time. (Although the school did have a lovely wooden bass recorder lying unused at the back of the music store cupboard, which I had on permanent loan).

Going back to your own problem, you can get music for three recorders where the first line is for descant, the third line for tenor and the second line is written out twice, once for a treble and once for either a descant or a tenor.

I didn't know that - thanks! Our school does have a fair few recorders lying about - at least one is a tenor, though I'm not sure about the others! They're all plastic though sad.gif

QUOTE(flutecake @ Jul 16 2007, 11:20 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Good Intentions @ Jul 16 2007, 11:17 AM) View Post

There seams to be lots of types of wood recorders can be made of I have heard mention of Cherry, Rose Box, Pear etc, what are the differences, warmer sounds? Cost? quality?

Cost and sound quality. Moeck have a neat little summery with pictures on their website: http://www.moeck.com/
Go to "recorders" and then "worth knowing and faq"

I have an aulos sopranino, descant and treble and a wodden tenor (no idea what the make is).
The moeck rosewood recorders look lovely though wub.gif

Is it me, or is there no English translation for the FAQ ?

#32 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 16 July 2007 - 16:21

I couldn't find an English version either, Rosemary!

#33 CJB

CJB

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts
  • Member: 4076

Posted 16 July 2007 - 17:16

I have a sopranino, descant and treble in pearwood and a treble and treble and tenor in bubbinga. I have Garklein to Bass in varying numbers in plastic.

#34 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 July 2007 - 17:27

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Jul 16 2007, 05:21 PM) View Post

I couldn't find an English version either, Rosemary!

I managed to find one, after I got my dictionary out laugh.gif

Click on the flag, then go to recorders, scroll down to Rottenburgh, then theres a nice little picture a bit farther down on the right that takes you to it! Rather long winded way round though!

#35 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Insomniaville

Posted 16 July 2007 - 17:50

Well found! - thanks! *goes to have a read*

#36 flutecake

flutecake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 10258
  • Munich

Posted 17 July 2007 - 14:41

Sorry, I couldn't post the direct link to the page in English. Maybe they should make the flags a bit bigger.
Still, the language practice should be good for you dry.gif

Mr Flutecake has just bought a harpsicord on ebay ohmy.gif does that give me an excuse to buy a nice recorder to play with it?

#37 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Insomniaville

Posted 17 July 2007 - 14:48

Oooh harpsicord! Coolness biggrin.gif

#38 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 17 July 2007 - 16:13

I've got a Dolmetsch descant and I keep meaning to bring it to a forum event to see if anyone can tell me what wood it is. Must try and remember to take it to Stalybridge smile.gif

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 15 2007, 05:57 PM) View Post

After all, we now have flute, clarinet, bassoon and oboe threads! And the recorder is a great instrument!

There's a Saxy Things thread now as well biggrin.gif

#39 salrec

salrec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Member: 7243

Posted 17 July 2007 - 17:43

Mr Flutecake has just bought a harpsicord on ebay ohmy.gif does that give me an excuse to buy a nice recorder to play with it?
[/quote]

I'd say it was essential that you buy at least one,and possibly more smile.gif

#40 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 18:41

Wow, a harpsichord!! I would love one, but no space and no money and no time! *Still wants Rosewood Treble though*

#41 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6712 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 17 July 2007 - 20:19

Ahem, so I've been shopping!

I went to the London Recorder Centre today and my list looked like this:
CASE (hard case or roll bag; def for descant - tenor, poss to include bass)
Garklein?
Recorder stand?

I've come out with a 9-slot roll-bag to take my descant (2 piece) treble (3 piece) and tenor (3 piece). My bass will live in the case it came in.
I didn't get a garklein - I want one just for the prettiness, and all they had in the shop were Aulos plastic or the very expensive proper renaissance wooden ones (min. £112). I was kind of hoping for the Kung 'Studio' one in pearwood which is on their website for £57, but they didn't have one. Plastic defeated the object of getting one for the beauty, the ones they had were too expensive for a just-a-pretty thing.

They do stands to order, so I figured I might as well do that through the website if I decide to get one (about half the people at my SRP have one, I think it could be useful in order that my recorders are easily accessible in order to practice more).

Anyway after that (with a little prompting from my husband) I asked to have a look at some trebles. I started with a pearwood Rottenburgh, and had a go on the olive and rose wood ones too. Then we had a brief discussion about budget and I said I was looking more at the pearwood price (~£200) rather than the olive or rosewood price (~£450+).
So I was brought some other recorders to play with, and had a bit of fun though I couldn't think of anything to play except scales (the very helpful lady in the shop got me to to try octaves, i.e. F, F', G, G', A, A' etc which was fine but boy did I have to think a lot to manage it!)

After all that - I've come home with a Kung Studio treble in cherry! It's great as it's obviously totally broken my Dolmetsch + Academy + Pearwood so now I don't have a compulsion for a matching tenor (in the fullness of time).
On the train home I was slightly regretting that - having made my choice for the treble - I didn't say 'Right, now let's talk tenors!' But I won't regret it when the credit card bill comes in, plus it gives me something to look forward to for next year.

The lady who sold me stuff was doing some playing as well; I really really really need to find a teacher (yes, she teaches; she told me! But she's in north London so not my first choice, but she was wonderfully bossy at getting me to try things out!)

#42 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 17 July 2007 - 20:30

A cherrywood Studio? A lovely choice, Maizie.

The tenor is very good too. I can recommend them smile.gif

#43 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 20:33

smile.gif I think that street in London is a dangerous one, what with the EMS and Howarths there.... And a secondhand music shop 5 minutes away from Marleybone, yes I think London is dangerous!

#44 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 17 July 2007 - 20:39

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 17 2007, 10:33 PM) View Post

smile.gif I think that street in London is a dangerous one, what with the EMS and Howarths there.... And a secondhand music shop 5 minutes away from Marleybone, yes I think London is dangerous!

What's the name and address of the second-hand music shop Rosemary? I didn't know there was one the last time I went to Howarth's and I'm going to be taking my oboe to be serviced over the summer ...

#45 hillyb

hillyb

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2459 posts
  • Member: 6557

Posted 17 July 2007 - 20:54

QUOTE(Maizie @ Jul 17 2007, 09:19 PM) View Post

Ahem, so I've been shopping!

I went to the London Recorder Centre today and my list looked like this:
CASE (hard case or roll bag; def for descant - tenor, poss to include bass)
Garklein?
Recorder stand?

I've come out with a 9-slot roll-bag to take my descant (2 piece) treble (3 piece) and tenor (3 piece). My bass will live in the case it came in.
I didn't get a garklein - I want one just for the prettiness, and all they had in the shop were Aulos plastic or the very expensive proper renaissance wooden ones (min. £112). I was kind of hoping for the Kung 'Studio' one in pearwood which is on their website for £57, but they didn't have one. Plastic defeated the object of getting one for the beauty, the ones they had were too expensive for a just-a-pretty thing.

They do stands to order, so I figured I might as well do that through the website if I decide to get one (about half the people at my SRP have one, I think it could be useful in order that my recorders are easily accessible in order to practice more).

Anyway after that (with a little prompting from my husband) I asked to have a look at some trebles. I started with a pearwood Rottenburgh, and had a go on the olive and rose wood ones too. Then we had a brief discussion about budget and I said I was looking more at the pearwood price (~£200) rather than the olive or rosewood price (~£450+).
So I was brought some other recorders to play with, and had a bit of fun though I couldn't think of anything to play except scales (the very helpful lady in the shop got me to to try octaves, i.e. F, F', G, G', A, A' etc which was fine but boy did I have to think a lot to manage it!)

After all that - I've come home with a Kung Studio treble in cherry! It's great as it's obviously totally broken my Dolmetsch + Academy + Pearwood so now I don't have a compulsion for a matching tenor (in the fullness of time).
On the train home I was slightly regretting that - having made my choice for the treble - I didn't say 'Right, now let's talk tenors!' But I won't regret it when the credit card bill comes in, plus it gives me something to look forward to for next year.

The lady who sold me stuff was doing some playing as well; I really really really need to find a teacher (yes, she teaches; she told me! But she's in north London so not my first choice, but she was wonderfully bossy at getting me to try things out!)

Wow, sounds like you had a great time. Hope you enjoy your new purchases! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif