Photo

How do you cope with sensitive, sore or painful fingers?

sore fingers bleeding fingers remedies fixes coping with harp players string players

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 erard

erard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Member: 716

Posted 13 May 2015 - 18:39

These are the things I use, but I don't think I have ever used them out of an orchestral setting - and don't always want that sound in an orchestra either.  They are great when when you want to cut through a loud orchestral tutti as they give a brighter tone, as well as saving the fingers.

Holywell sell them. http://www.harp.com/...ow/id_19395169/

#17 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Member: 893020

Posted 13 May 2015 - 22:15

Thanks for the link Erard, I'll definitely invest in some felt picks.

I have practiced every day, including the piece with multiple glissandi - I played them very softly to save my finger. I was considering changing the piece but I do love it do much. I'm sure I could manage to use the pick because the glissandi are in groups of three separated by a single chord of two measures. It may be possible to hold the pick with the little finger whilst playing the chord with 1st & 3rd fingers or attach the pick to the harp somehow. I have a lesson soon, that needs to be discussed. I wonder if a pck would be acceptable under examination conditions?

#18 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Member: 893020

Posted 20 May 2015 - 16:33

Finally, I have earned some calloused fingers 1, 2 and 3 both hands.

I believe there has been research into the very individual sound each harpist produces depending on the position and amount of callous to their fingers. It makes sense. If anyone knows about this research I would love to know more about it. In the meantime, I'm nurturing my calloused fingers with pride.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sore fingers, bleeding fingers, remedies, fixes, coping with, harp players, string players