EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:56

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to confirm that the upgraded forums are now live. If you have any feedback or spot anything that isn't working as expected, please do let us know via this thread!

Just to quickly cover a few important details:

• We have introduced several new features and numerous enhancements to existing features that you can explore at your leisure (see the first message of this thread for further information)
  • Most of your forum controls have now moved to the top right-hand corner of your browser window - if you click on your display name that appears in this location (once logged in) you'll be able to access these
  • Support for text styling (hoorah!), foreign characters and avatars has been restored

Thanks,

Ed

#47 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09

I should have remembered to ask for this earlier, but do we have a :flute: emoticon available that has the instrument held the correct way round?

:flute_1: :flute_1:

#48 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Member: 37220
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:13

Lovely upgrade, if a little disconcerting at first! (And apparently, I do actually have a user pic. Nice :) )

#49 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:51

Well, I've just had a quick look as I'm busy this morning.  My first reaction is that everything comes up much too big  and too spaced out on my screen so I have to scroll a lot more because there simply isn't enough on the screen (desk top computer - I can't try out my tablet until I get to school - no wifi in this back of beyond)    Is that something I can adjust or is it fixed? The other thing is that the grey print is far too light and very difficult to read - and this applies to some of the little icons as well.  I can see eye strain setting in.

#50 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19958 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:56

Yes - I found I was having to squint to read some of the print. And the name of the person posting was not immediately clear - although of course once you know where to look .... But the blue on grey, although attractive, does not contrast sufficiently on my screen. Btw I'm on an iPad. Not tried it on phone yet.

But all in all, congratulations on a successful upgrade. It seems to have happened while we did not much more than blink!

#51 TSax

TSax

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts
  • Member: 5567

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:57

Is there a wayto "view last unread" message on a thread?

I used to use that all the time but can't immediately see how in the new setup.

#52 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:57

Well, I've just had a quick look as I'm busy this morning.  My first reaction is that everything comes up much too big  and too spaced out on my screen so I have to scroll a lot more because there simply isn't enough on the screen (desk top computer - I can't try out my tablet until I get to school - no wifi in this back of beyond)    Is that something I can adjust or is it fixed? The other thing is that the grey print is far too light and very difficult to read - and this applies to some of the little icons as well.  I can see eye strain setting in.

Hi Aquarelle,

In most browsers you can use the Ctrl+ or Ctrl- commands to reduce or increase the default 'zoom' as you see fit (personally I have the same preference you do, so I zoom out slightly to reduce text size and the need to scroll). The grey looks fine on my screen but I'll test it on a few other displays and with different screen settings - we can always adjust it to a darker shade if necessary.  

Thanks,

Ed

#53 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:00

There is indeed - there's a Go To First Unread Post option next to the green Reply To This Topic button at the top right-hand corner of each topic. 

#54 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:05

Posters' names light blue on light grey. Ri-i-i-i-ight. I've obviously just got the wrong eyes. Either that or you hired someone with little understading of colour contrast. I've seen worse: anyone ever grappled with Adobe Premier Elements? Tiny print, lightish grey on slightly darker grey. Far too many designers assume that if they can see it almost everyone can.

There is indeed - there's a Go To First Unread Post option next to the green Reply To This Topic button at the top right-hand corner of each topic. 

It was better when the reply button was on the post you wanted to reply to instead of miles above it. Then you automatically got the quote from that post. So thumbs down for that bit

#55 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:06

Definitely agree with the problem with the grey and pale blue theme. Consider the reader with access needs, whatever they are. I have normal eyesight, but because I have a strange posture I sit a long way from the screen, and with that colour combination I can't see anything. If I zoom it up huge it goes blurry (projection screen is reasonably low resolution but the only way I can lie on my back and have the monitor on the ceiling) and in any case it makes it really scrolly. I know plenty of ways to change sites, so I've zoomed and CSS styled to my heart's content, but the problem I am now left with is that the primary way of identifying quoted and unquoted text is a box which is invisible after you have changed accessibilty background settings, and the different font colour, which I do not have. The box needs to be ... I don't know enough about web settings to say what it needs to be, but after you have played around with Nosquint to remove the colour scheme it needs to be still visible. My needs are a bit unusual, but having access needs is not (poor eyesight, colour blindness, autistic spectrum, dyslexia, many more that I can't think of just off the top of my head).

To access this new site I have had to change to an entirely different browser and install a viewer extension and I'm still finding that I can't see the reply box (happened upon it by accident and it became visible after clicking in it) and I keep reading and re-reading the quoted text as I cannot tell it's quoted. Nor can I tell what is a post and what is a signature, so I shall have to turn them off, but then I won't know what people play because that's usually in their post sig.

So although people can impose their own text settings to eliminate the grey problem, it just creates new and different problems.

#56 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:14

Or if you are in the forum-level view, the topic with posts you haven't read has a Big Blue Dot on the left (where you used to have a little orange box), and that jumps you to the first unread post.

#57 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31656 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:27

I was struggling to find where that was - until I realised I wasn't logged in :ph34r:

It appears you can change the typeface on your signature, and add smileys too! :yay: It says you can add any number of lines - is there a limit on how many characters you can use?

Car Expert

#58 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:34

Posters' names light blue on light grey. Ri-i-i-i-ight. I've obviously just got the wrong eyes. Either that or you hired someone with little understading of colour contrast. I've seen worse: anyone ever grappled with Adobe Premier Elements? Tiny print, lightish grey on slightly darker grey. Far too many designers assume that if they can see it almost everyone can.

It was better when the reply button was on the post you wanted to reply to instead of miles above it. Then you automatically got the quote from that post. So thumbs down for that bit

Unfortunately we have no control over the reply options - those are built into the system. The Quote button that appears in the bottom right-hand corner of each message is the means of responding to (and quoting) an individual post. 

We've adjusted the grey text (and the blue shade used in links) this morning to improve the contrast with the background - this should help.

Ed 

#59 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:35

There used to be an option to select how many posts were on each page.  I can't find the same setting now?

#60 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:41

Unfortunately we have no control over the reply options - those are built into the system. The Quote button that appears in the bottom right-hand corner of each message is the means of responding to (and quoting) an individual post. 

We've adjusted the grey text (and the blue shade used in links) this morning to improve the contrast with the background - this should help.

Ed 

"Unfortunately we have no control over the reply options - those are built into the system."

You're joking, please tell me you're joking.

(I can't be bothered working out how to extract one little bit out of the previous lot)

Then you've chosen a bad system. That aspect of the navigation is AWFUL. It worked before. I forgot to click quote before dragging my weary bones to the top of the page, so of course I got a blank screen with no immediate sight of access to the post I wanted to quote

And no, sorry, the grey on grey doesn't help, because it's the background that's too dark. Good designers should not need to be told these things! :argh: