Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:46

The waiters at my local Portuguese cafe recommend a visit to Portugal, but I don't have a passport!

"No problem, all you need is your ID card"

A photo driving licence is no good it seems, though good for most purposes in the UK.

Had we signed up to Schengen, they would have been correct...

#17 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 18:57

I'm slightly surprised they don't check the identity of the candidate in grade 5 theory, as a fair amount of progress in the practical exams hangs on (someone) passing it.

Included with my practical exam certificate (must be a record for me a 2 weeks after the exam) there was a note stating that for "higher level exams [candidates] will need to being a form of photo ID to their exam:

"Music Performance instrumental and singing exams: Grades 6 to 8; Music Performance jazz exams: Grade 5; Music Theory exams Grades 5 to 8; ARSM diploma".

#18 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6003 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:02

Included with my practical exam certificate (must be a record for me a 2 weeks after the exam) there was a note stating that for "higher level exams [candidates] will need to being a form of photo ID to their exam:

"Music Performance instrumental and singing exams: Grades 6 to 8; Music Performance jazz exams: Grade 5; Music Theory exams Grades 5 to 8; ARSM diploma".

I didn't know about this! Thanks for posting. I wonder what the rationale is?

#19 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:15

LCM have done this for a while.I suppose like anything it's open to fraud and as higher exams carry UCAS points, I suppose you could get someone to take the exam for you even if you couldn't play at all!

#20 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:54

I'm slightly surprised they don't check the identity of the candidate in grade 5 theory, as a fair amount of progress in the practical exams hangs on (someone) passing it.

When my passport expires in January I won't have any photo ID.

I really think that as there is no requirement for everybody to possess this it's not reasonable to demand it.

#21 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2019 - 15:10

I didn't know about this! Thanks for posting. I wonder what the rationale is?

Apparently it's to meets the Board's obligations as an awarding body, according to the leaflet.

#22 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 16 July 2019 - 15:20

I just used a credit card as ID for my ABRSM diplomas.

#23 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 16 July 2019 - 16:08

I just used a credit card as ID for my ABRSM diplomas.

Photo ID is a new requirement for ABRSM higher grades and diplomas in the UK, from January 2020 onwards.

#24 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 16 July 2019 - 16:48

I have to produce ID for OU exams which has a photo and a signature (e.g. passport, driving licence).  There are alternatives listed for people who don't have any of these - but it generally involves bringing something official with a a photo (such as a Citizen Card or a Validate UK card, which can be bought for just such purposes) plus a credit card for siganture verification.  In the same place they also state that expired passports and driving licences can be used, so long as the photo still looks like you (fortunately for me, as I have an expired by date-on-the-front [but for complicated reasons, still valid to drive with] licence!)

I would very much hope that ABRSM have forethought enough to realise they will need to give alternatives to photo ID - what forms of photo ID do most children have?  (I can't quite imagine my mother letting me take my passport in to school to use as ID even post-16!)

#25 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2019 - 17:07

I should have mentioned that, according to the leaflet, the policy will be available on the website in Nov 2019 and come into force in Jan 2020.

#26 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 16 July 2019 - 17:18

Does anyone know if this policy will be UK only, or perhaps UK plus Europe?  I haven't heard hide nor hair of it here in the Republic of Texas.  Neither I nor my lone exam student have ever been asked for ID.  (Between us we have done G1, G2, G5, and G8 practical and G5 theory over the past two years or so.  Next year there should be an ARSM, a G3 practical, and some theories.)

#27 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:50

Does anyone know if this policy will be UK only, or perhaps UK plus Europe?

I think it depends on the requirements of the country in which the exams are held. Photo ID has been required for some time for exams in Malaysia, for example, where it is a requirement of the Malaysian Department of Education for all examinations (younger children can use birth certificates). Photo ID for public exams in the UK has become an issue of late, where the higher grades of music exams are now part of the Regulated Exams Framework. I imagine the ABRSM will follow USA/Texan requirements, if there are any on this matter.