Very very sensible!!

#17 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 27 March 2007 - 18:18

QUOTE(skylark @ Mar 1 2007, 02:40 AM) View Post

FORUM USERS CONCERTS

Forum users concerts are open to members of all ages, and are a particularly good way for adults to get experience playing in public - the "public" generally being other forum members together with their friends and families, so it is a very supportive environment in which to perform. The idea behind forum concerts is that adults very rarely get the opportunity to play in public, so when we come to take an exam, we're often badly affected by nerves and either don't do as well as we should, or we even stop taking exams altogether.

If ever there was a testament to forum concerts, it was today at my Grade 3 - there was such a huge difference between today and when I did my Grade 2. When I did G2 last summer, I went completely to pieces with nerves - my hands were both shaking and frozen, and although I don't understand how they could be both at the same time, I know that they were! Today was nothing like my G2 - there were one or two points where I had a very tiny fleeting tremor, hardly worth noticing, and NOTHING like my G2.

What's happened in the intervening period to bring about this change? All I've done is more playing in public - I joined a learner jazz band and I've played in two concerts with them. I play with a clarinet ensemble, and I've played in a concert with them. And of course forum events - I've played at three playdays at Market Harborough, I played in the studio recording session last weekend at Egham, and I've performed at the Chester forum concert, including a solo.

So if anyone else is seriously affected by nerves in an exam, I can only recommend that you try to do what I've done and what many other forum members have done to overcome nerves, which is more playing in public. I can't deny that it's nerve-racking when you first start off, but you soon get over that and start enjoying yourself.

And re my Grade 3, I hope I've done well enough because I played my pieces as well as I've ever played them in lessons and practice, and I would NEVER have thought that I could do that in an exam situation. So if I haven't passed, it will be because I'm not yet good enough for Grade 3 - NOT because my nerves let me down wink.gif **

So if you want to make a start on overcoming exam nerves by playing in public more, have a look at the Forum Event Calendar to see what events are coming up, and have a look at the first post in this thread if you want to find out more about forum events generally smile.gif

And thanks to all those who've organised the events I've been to - Katyjay, barry-clari, Petrat and meerkat, I've really enjoyed them and now it's been proved how useful they are, so many many thanks smile.gif

** Edit: My G3 result was 127, a high Merit, with two of my pieces at Distinction level, compared with 114 for my G2.

#18 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 27 March 2007 - 18:24

QUOTE(skylark @ Mar 27 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

QUOTE(skylark @ Mar 1 2007, 02:40 AM) View Post

FORUM USERS CONCERTS

Forum users concerts are open to members of all ages, and are a particularly good way for adults to get experience playing in public - the "public" generally being other forum members together with their friends and families, so it is a very supportive environment in which to perform. The idea behind forum concerts is that adults very rarely get the opportunity to play in public, so when we come to take an exam, we're often badly affected by nerves and either don't do as well as we should, or we even stop taking exams altogether.

If ever there was a testament to forum concerts, it was today at my Grade 3 - there was such a huge difference between today and when I did my Grade 2. When I did G2 last summer, I went completely to pieces with nerves - my hands were both shaking and frozen, and although I don't understand how they could be both at the same time, I know that they were! Today was nothing like my G2 - there were one or two points where I had a very tiny fleeting tremor, hardly worth noticing, and NOTHING like my G2.

What's happened in the intervening period to bring about this change? All I've done is more playing in public - I joined a learner jazz band and I've played in two concerts with them. I play with a clarinet ensemble, and I've played in a concert with them. And of course forum events - I've played at three playdays at Market Harborough, I played in the studio recording session last weekend at Egham, and I've performed at the Chester forum concert, including a solo.

So if anyone else is seriously affected by nerves in an exam, I can only recommend that you try to do what I've done and what many other forum members have done to overcome nerves, which is more playing in public. I can't deny that it's nerve-racking when you first start off, but you soon get over that and start enjoying yourself.

And re my Grade 3, I hope I've done well enough because I played my pieces as well as I've ever played them in lessons and practice, and I would NEVER have thought that I could do that in an exam situation. So if I haven't passed, it will be because I'm not yet good enough for Grade 3 - NOT because my nerves let me down wink.gif

So if you want to make a start on overcoming performance nerves, have a look at the Forum Event Calendar to see what events are coming up, and have a look at the first post in this thread if you want to find out more about forum events generally smile.gif

And thanks to all those who've organised the events I've been to - Katyjay, barry-clari, Petrat and meerkat, I've really enjoyed them and now it's been proved how useful they are, so many many thanks smile.gif

Thanks for such a positive response, Skylark. And well done on both your recent forums performances and also your exam experience.

It's great to hear how people have gained benefit from the Forums events. That's what makes doing them worthwhile smile.gif

#19 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 27 March 2007 - 19:45

That's fantastic, skylark! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#20 nicki_flute

nicki_flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30025 posts
  • Member: 1532

Posted 27 March 2007 - 19:59

Wow, great to hear that Skylark. All the best for the results smile.gif

#21 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19929 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 27 March 2007 - 20:09

I hope I've done well enough because I played my pieces as well as I've ever played them in lessons and practice

That's fantastic Skylark - sounds as though it went really well. Good for you! and hope the result won't be too long.

#22 hillyb

hillyb

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2459 posts
  • Member: 6557

Posted 27 March 2007 - 20:16

Hi Skylark,

I'm glad everything went well in your exam today. Good luck with your result - hope it comes soon.

hillyb smile.gif

#23 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22944 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 27 March 2007 - 21:04

That's great Skylark. biggrin.gif

One day it might work for me too..... dry.gif unsure.gif

#24 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 21:13

Sounds good Skylark. Well done.

#25 Suepea

Suepea

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 299
  • Ashford Middlesex

Posted 27 March 2007 - 22:01

Glad it went well skylark - how was the aural?

I agree with you about the confidence that playing at forums events and elsewhere gives you. biggrin.gif

#26 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 22:22

QUOTE(Suepea @ Mar 27 2007, 11:01 PM) View Post

Glad it went well skylark - how was the aural?

About the same as when we did Hofnote the other day! wink.gif

Thanks for all the good wishes everybody smile.gif

#27 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 27 March 2007 - 23:14

Pleased to hear your grade 3 went well skylark, and of how the forum events have helped you. smile.gif

#28 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:23

I second everything that's been said!

smile.gif

#29 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts
  • Member: 2939
  • Burwell, Cambridgeshire

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:50

Well its just a case of waiting for the results Skylark. I'm really glad that people at events have encouraged you to have the self-confidence to feel comfortable in exams.

I very much hope the results will reflect this.

Jo

#30 appleblossom

appleblossom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • Member: 8745
  • Kent!! With it's own Leeds and the most beautiful castle in the world!!

Posted 28 March 2007 - 20:38

Good for you skylark! I hope you get some good results! xxxx smile.gif