17 replies to this topic

#16 Piano lady

Piano lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 274946

Posted 09 July 2014 - 22:55

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all this feedback. Arranging stuff could be good, as it is so difficult for beginners to play together - I especially like the idea of organising the players to play alternately a lot. I have already ordered some of the other stuff mentioned. Tunes For Two arrived yesterday, and I have to say is beyond them at the moment. But it will give them something to work towards.

I also found a pupil and teacher playing a duet on You tube, which they entitled Faster and Faster, and have simplified that (3 slow scales plus end riff for primo; single notes on minims - A  F  G  E  F  D  E  A for Secondo) and taught it to them by rote this week. It is easy to learn and very effective, especially with me filling in with quaver arpeggios in the bass. A trio. Nice. 

Thanks everyone.

What a great resource this Forum is! :)

#17 morceau

morceau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Member: 75482
  • Yorkshire

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:28

I have "Duets for Fun" Book 1 by Jane Smisor Bastien.  It has 8 pieces, and both Primo and Secondo are aimed at beginners - though not total beginners.  Some pieces require reading of the whole stave, up to two sharps and one flat, and of course, reading of both hands in one clef.  It's a nice one though.  I've used it for siblings.

#18 dacapo

dacapo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1950 posts
  • Member: 465
  • West Berkshire

Posted 10 July 2014 - 21:28

I've owned a complete copy of Heinrich Wohlfahrt's "The Musical Children's Friend, Melodious Four-Hand Piano Pieces for Beginners (Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, Vol. 172)", published by Schirmer, for a great many years, and come back to it from time to time. I'm not at home to check and can't remember how easy the first pieces are, only that they are very short.

Just found the first 28 pieces here for download, but wasn't clear if it was free or paid.

http://www.general-e...part-1-nos-1-28

I hope you find lots of interesting things for your pupils - duets are such a great introduction to the joys of ensemble playing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duets, adults, beginners, easy