Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 15 December 2015 - 17:56

Didn't post yesterday due to post exam gin consumption but thought I'd just check in to say I survived! Some bad parts but nothing truly horrendous, kept going despite slips in pieces, some scales didn't happen due to excessive shaking but others were fine. Sight reading was quite good for me and I think the ear tests were 50/50. Still proud to have done it, whatever the outcome

#77 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Member: 888455

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:55

Didn't post yesterday due to post exam gin consumption but thought I'd just check in to say I survived! Some bad parts but nothing truly horrendous, kept going despite slips in pieces, some scales didn't happen due to excessive shaking but others were fine. Sight reading was quite good for me and I think the ear tests were 50/50. Still proud to have done it, whatever the outcome

Well done :) sounds like it went ok, fingers crossed for a good result! :)

#78 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:28

Results just in and I passed scoring 110

Phew!

Pleased considering I lost 3 weeks of decent practice due to a messy house move and being homeless for 2 weeks, a few weeks before the exam!

As I expected aural and sightreading was bad, but got 17 for scales which I'm pleased with :)

#79 Scaredycat

Scaredycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Member: 887446

Posted 16 December 2015 - 13:42

Yay, well done Chaia!

#80 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 15:03

Yay, well done Chaia!

Thank you!

#81 cho10

cho10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 887964
  • milan, Italy

Posted 16 December 2015 - 15:44

Congratulations Chaia

#82 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 14:59

Thanks cho.

I got my mark sheet today and now I'm feeling pretty down. The comments are so negative! I'm actually a bit upset by it, I was feeling pleased to have passed but now I feel rubbish. Especially the aural comments, I am a very poor singer and tried really hard in the sight singing and the comments were that my attempt 'was not very convincing' even the scales that I did well in was full of negative comments.

Now I'll go drown my sorrows at an Xmas party and I guess try put it behind me :(

#83 cho10

cho10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 887964
  • milan, Italy

Posted 18 December 2015 - 16:22

Hi,

as I have already said I sat for and passed Grade 3 two weeks ago after passing about a year ago Grade 1.

So I skipped Grade 2 because I found it boring.

Whatever the examiner's comments are, what counts is that you passed with 110.

Some examiners can be in a bad mood (mine was) and a bit .... lacking in flexibility and warmth.

The fact that somebody comes to the door of the exam room to greet you (as was my case) doesn't make up for the lack of encouragement that I noted while I was doing my various tests.  Good manners are appreciated but candidates are under a huge amount of pressure during those 10 to 12 minutes. 

What I mean is that I don't expect an examiner to be anything other than inflexible as that is what makes the ABRSM exams so respected.

But when you (as an examiner) can see that a candidate is nervous (oh so nervous) because of stage fright, writing things like "he restarted more than once which was very distracting" is not very helpful. 

So what I think you should do is put the mark sheet away, open a bottle or 2 of bubbly, break some glasses in a fireplace if you have one as the 18th century Russians did and start thinking about the next exam.

If you have a teacher then review and talk over the results with him/her.

I did and was able to see what the examiner was criticizing when he put down his comments.

In terms of substance I would not have changed the concepts he expressed had I been the examiner.

I would have used, however, more constructive and helpful wording.

NO difference in the end result but of greater use to me.

Examiners are not our teachers nor our friends but they are, regardless, a part of OUR learning process.

That flimsy sheet will accompany us for the rest of our ABRSM career so it would not have taken much effort to be just a tad more considerate.

That is, of course, just my opinion.

Congratulations once again.

#84 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 24 December 2015 - 18:09

Found out today I passed. Nowhere near as high a mark as I'd hoped but sticking with the positives and will be interested to read the feedback

#85 dovebasket

dovebasket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Member: 888418
  • Corfe Castle

Posted 24 December 2015 - 20:53

Good news: well done. Time for a celebratory gin!

#86 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 December 2015 - 21:36

Found out today I passed. Nowhere near as high a mark as I'd hoped but sticking with the positives and will be interested to read the feedback

They left it til the last minute!
Well done for the pass. :)

#87 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 24 December 2015 - 21:52

I dont mind an examiner being slightly unnerving. The only one that was condescending was grade 4. I walked into the room and he said "They get older and older" with a wry smile
I will have been mid 30's and he probably only meant that the last several people in the exam room had gone up in age, but it as I sat at the piano I thought my age were some sory of issue. It was an inappropriate comment albeit perhaps innocent.
My C piece was something like Quajira . You didn't write your intended pieces down prior to the test and gave them verbally. When I said Quajira exactly as it's spelt, he had a chuckle and said "I think you mean..."(pronounced it correctly). I felt really small but he gave me my best mark to date.
In contrast an examiner I had a little post test chat with, didn't score me highly, although I thought it were my best performance. Obviously it wasn't. In the driving test I passed the examiner was simply abrupt for no reason... or was it for no reason?. Do we show what we're really about when we're under pressure; in this case more pressure than I needed to be under.
I believe the abrsm examiners are on our side but that extra pressure generated by their occasional demeanour is part of the test if you want it to be. If we ever perform to an audience there are likely to be critics before we play our first note, so it's good all round practice.

#88 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 23:05

Congrats :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exams, session c