mysteryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Member: 5239
  • West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2014 - 21:02

Hey, I've casually taught some violin lessons before - mainly beginners and intermediate, but i am soon teaching and want to to teach those who want to persist through the grade exams (as opposed to having casual lessons).  

:sun: I would love peoples' ideas on Repertoire/Studies on which tuition books to teach with through the grades, and also which left hand positions they teach.  The list assumes that the ABRSM Grade examination pieces/scales might be used and taught for each grade.  For example:

Grade 1:  (Teaching 1st position).  Books used:  Fiddle Time Joggers/Scales...  [ABRSM Grade 1 Book + Relevant scales]

Grade 2:

Grade 3:

Grade 4:

Grade 5:

Grade 6:

Grade 7:

Grade 8:

If you could copy and past the above grade list with your teaching methods/notes - I would love any help   :D .  Thanks.

#2 Yuuzuki

Yuuzuki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Member: 167159
  • Tokyo, Japan

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:44

I think it's nice that you're trying to compile a syllabus. 

My teacher just listens to me play whatever sheet music I bring in, regardless of whether it's my level or not....

I'm not sure there's any actual teaching going on at all unless I have a question  :ninja:

The Abracadabra series has some nice familiar tunes in and it starts out really simple.

It might help to think about what you used to reach your current level. 

That's how I recommend Japanese textbooks to my friends. 

#3 owainsutton

owainsutton

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2746 posts
  • Member: 53883
  • Altrincham

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:15

Where to start?!

Fiddle Time Joggers: Up to Grade 1, only deals with 0-1-23-4 fingers.

FT Runners: covers 0-12-3-4 for Grade 1, then moves onto some G2 stuff.

FT Sprinters: the early stuff is needed for G2 standard, and I'm still using it post-G3 exam for consolidation of 3rd position & introducing 2nd.

I now prefer Violin Star to the first two, with books 1 & 2 ensuring that G1-standard material is covered thoroughly, and book 3 for lots of work in G2 keys. From there, I still move to Sprinters for G3.

Also useful at G3/4 stage are Position Changing For The Violin, Nifty Shifts, Tuneful Introduction To The Third Position, and other such books specifically intended for work on 3rd position.

Jazz, Blues & Ragtime goes down well with G3 players, and has some pieces of a G4+ level. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes is superb for plunging them into multiple position changes.

Solos For The Young Violinist: book 1 is very good for beginners who can already read music and who are old enough to have the attention span for longer pieces. Book 2 has some useful pieces around the G5-G6 level, but I tend to just dip into it.

Young Violinist's Repertoire: books 1 & 2 are good for grade 1 through to 3. Books 3 & 4 have a variety from G3 standard through to G5. I've never found it easy to pick out a logical progression from these pieces, though, so employ it as supplementary repertoire rather than as the only book to use. A similar story with Classical & Romantic Pieces, with the four books spanning approximately grades 2 to 6.

Technique Takes Off: superb for drilling technique from a good G3 standard right through to G6.

Bartok 44 Duos!! Starts off with little more than G1 requirements, but the last ones can challenge a G8 player despite still being in first position. They're also wonderfully enjoyable to explore in depth, fascinating little nuggets of creativity.

I'm sure there's plenty I've forgotten, of course....

#4 rachelviolin

rachelviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Member: 6838

Posted 13 October 2014 - 14:44

This site might be of interest:

http://www.wps.pwp.b...s_do_i_give.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tuition, books, repertoire, violin, exams, teaching, teacher