#1 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 21 March 2014 - 18:21

At last!  I might just have found an ensemble that will let me join!

I just spoke to one of the local teachers who runs an amateur ensemble, to provide playing opportunities for her pupils, but, it is open to other learners too.  It's for people like me, who aren't eligible to join the local orchestras as they don't play at grade 8 standard.

So I'm going along to a rehearsal and we'll see how it goes.  I'm nervously excited and scared in equal measures!

I haven't had a lesson in three months, so I might embarrass myself, but at least going along with low expectations - I can only be better than that. . .  I hope.

#2 Impressionist

Impressionist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Member: 331311

Posted 21 March 2014 - 18:48

How fabulous.  I'm sure you'll be fine and will really enjoy it.  I keep meaning to join a local orchestra to play my cello but time pressures always get in the way.  Have fun!

#3 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Member: 100709
  • Leeds

Posted 23 March 2014 - 14:55

That's great news. Don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time lost. I just moved from my band's intermediate orchestra up to the main band, and am once again plunged into "where are we" mode! It's a rite of passage!

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 18:09

Well I went along.  They were in final rehearsal for a concert, so I didn't join in, instead I just read along with the parts.  Really enjoyed it and now have music for the next concert on my music stand.  Gulp!

Everyone has told me that I'll feel lost at first, but they equally seem sure that I'll enjoy it and soon get into the swing of things.

The group were really friendly and I'm sure they'll be supportive.  I'll let you know how it goes after Easter.

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 13:07

First REAL rehearsal today!  Oh it was such fun.  :woot:  I was very much the beginner as the other members have been working together for about a year.  We sight read through the pieces we're planning to work on and at first I was quite dreadful and very nervous.  Even though I knew the first tune I couldn't sight-read the semi-quavers fast enough, but I got a lot of support from the conductor/leader and my nerves started to fade.  That of course made things easier. 

If I'm honest, I did much better than I'd anticipated, but then I did expect to be dreadful. :lol:   At times I actually managed to play several bars before getting lost.

I've obviously got a lot of work to do, but I know from the run through which bits I'll need to focus on.  I'm so glad I found this group.  I think it's going to kind of work as a feeder school for the local orchestra, so a few years down the line I might get to graduate to that, but for now it's just really great to have other people to play chamber music with.  SOOOOOO glad I went.

#6 Impressionist

Impressionist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Member: 331311

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:34

Good for you - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've yet to find the time and the courage to join a local orchestra on cello. Maybe in the new school term I'll get round to it. Encouraging to hear it was a positive experience for you.

#7 Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Member: 62313

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:28

Woohoo! That's great! Ensemble playing/singing is such a fantastic feeling. I'm hoping to join an ensemble this Autumn. I've found one that will take on anyone and is particularly glad of strings so I'm hoping I'll be at least a tiny bit useful with my 'violin playing'.

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6193 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:05

Great news, and an encouragement to anyone out there who has not joined a group. There are community groups out there and I would encourage people to join them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adult learner, ensemble, playing opportunities