Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 19 July 2019 - 16:55

I was supposed to be doing my G5 the other week until a few days before it I decided to fall off a cliff and hurt my back. ABRSM are being utter <insert preferred profanity> about it. I'm an adult - nearly retired - but AB won't consider even just moving me to the autumn without 'written evidence' from doctor/hospital. Considering that I have been working for over 40 years and as I was only off work for a few days (actually I was on holiday) I would have self-certified, so there is no written anything from hospital or GP.

#122 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1923 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 19 July 2019 - 17:18

Oh dear, those cliffs are such pesky things.
I wish you a speedy recovery TV, and please be careful.
Clarimoo

#123 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2019 - 17:53

Oh dear, those cliffs are such pesky things.
I wish you a speedy recovery TV, and please be careful.
Clarimoo

Seconded.  Get well soon.

#124 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 19 July 2019 - 18:51

How ridiculous and frustrating, Tenor Viol. Get well soon!

#125 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:21

I feel like I'm a bit late to the party but I finally had my G3 piano exam on Friday (19th). The weather was just awful (it was pouring down like no tomorrow) and despite wearing waterproofs, I looked (and felt) like a drowned rat! But the stewart was very welcoming and sympathetic, which made me feel instantly better. I felt secure when I ran through my weakest scales+arpeggios, and all of my pieces, in the warm-up room.

I started the exam with my scales. My right hand slipped in G minor but I just carried on anyway (although it was completely wrong!). I re-did that one. I also made one minor mistake with the C minor arpeggio (argh). I was a bit gutted as I was really hoping for a high mark for my technical as I tend to be quite strong in that department. Oh well.

Overall I'm happy with how I played my pieces. I started with Tchaikovsky (List B, one of the alternative pieces), which was ok I think. The nerves did kick in during the first few bars and my hands were shaky, but I think that I recovered well and the piece got better and more confident. My second piece, Giga (List A), I was most nervous about as I had fluffed it in a recital previously. I drew a complete blank after 4 bars (…) but I re-started, after which I gave a fairly confident performance and I'm pleased with my dynamics but there was some unevenness. The List C piece, Blues in the attic, went well and I'm particularly pleased with that. I made a mistake with one chord but I don't think it was dead obvious. 

Sight-reading and aural were ok. I should at least pass both! 

So overall not too traumatising! 

#126 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:59

Good on you, hennylemon, for persevering in that exam!  I would have probably just broken down completely.  One thing the examiners want to see is how you bounce back from slips - hopefully the examiner was impressed with your perseverance. 

How long does it usually take for you to get your results?  Fingers crossed for a good score.

#127 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 14:32

Good on you, hennylemon, for persevering in that exam!  I would have probably just broken down completely.  One thing the examiners want to see is how you bounce back from slips - hopefully the examiner was impressed with your perseverance. 

How long does it usually take for you to get your results?  Fingers crossed for a good score.

Thanks, Dr. R. I shall see...

Online results tend to become available in about 7-10 days.

#128 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:06

Well, after the debacle that was my G3 exam (when I arrived at the centre, I was told that I wasn't on the list, so spent all my warm-up time proving I was supposed to be there, massively adding to my nerves, leading to multiple mistakes that I would never normally make), I just scraped a pass.  

I am never going to take another music exam!

#129 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:36

Well, after the debacle that was my G3 exam (when I arrived at the centre, I was told that I wasn't on the list, so spent all my warm-up time proving I was supposed to be there, massively adding to my nerves, leading to multiple mistakes that I would never normally make), I just scraped a pass.  

I can quite understand the way you feel after such an experience, but please don't swear an oath never to take another exam - you don't have to use the same exam board, for one thing.
Why not try an official complaint (assuming you haven't already done so) and see where it gets you? You might at least be offered a refund.

*Ducks to avoid flying pig*

#130 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3760 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:59

In my experience you don't get a refund. If you get anything it's a free retake which I can't imagine you would want. My adult grade 2 said her exam went horrendously but before the exam she played the pieces well. Which is what matters really as an exam is an artificial situation.

#131 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 23 July 2019 - 15:39

Ouch!  I don't blame you for not wanting to take any further exams.  That would probably have put me off as well.

#132 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 23 July 2019 - 17:46

on the point of warm up time. when I took my first piano exam last summer I arrived 15 mins before time as stated and the steward informed me that the person before hadn't turned up yet so you might as well go and warm up and showed me into room. I got just about through one scale when the door opened and steward said you can go through now for your exam which I did so had no preparation time at all. I actually left the building at the time my exam was due to start. Being my first exam and really nervous I didn't say anything but are you allowed to request to take it at appointed time so you have some preparation and calm time before? It certainly didn't help my nerves.

#133 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:42

Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies.  My teacher has put in a complaint, but, having scraped a pass, I suspect it will have little effect, and I don't want to do a resit.

The reason that I don't want to do more exams is more than just this one bad experience.  I seem to be getting more and more nervous in exams, even though I am quite happy to perform in front of an audience.  I took LCM G8 Musical Theatre just before Christmas and. although I didn't think I was particularly nervous, my mouth was so dry, my voice kept cracking and I scored much lower than predicted.  Also, my piano teacher is completely wedded to ABRSM and won't contemplate other boards.  

I never say never, but I am certainly not intending to take more exams in the foreseeable future.

#134 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:47

Sylvette - it's only a map. Your teacher has a compass. You know where you want to go. Very best wishes with whatever that destination proves to be... and you are always allowed to change your mind because the only opinion that really matters is your own... smile.png

#135 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:45

I'm finally off the bench. My teacher sent me a screenshot of my results: 132. My list C piece (Blues in the attic) seems to have been my best but overall my marks across the different parts of the exam are quite consistent. 

I have signed up to the e-Music maestro website now to keep on improving my aural. I've enjoyed it so far, and it's definitely better than the ABRSM aural app, which has very limited examples of the tests.