#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:06

Received an email yesterday from the mother of one of my students saying she had entered her daughter for her exam. This took me by surprise as although i probably would have entered the student, i did want to wait until closer to the cut-off date so i was 100% sure she would pass as there's still quite a bit of work to do.

I think it's just been a misunderstanding as the parent is a lovely lady and the daughter has sat exams for a different exam board in the past where the parents enter them, so i think the mother has just assumed the process is the same. I've actually never ever had a parent do this before and it got me thinking that i'll have to amend my terms & conditions as the last thing i want is for a parent to put their child in for an exam within an unrealistic timescale and hand the responsibility over to me to get the student through it.

I recently added a paragraph in my terms & conditions that i would only enter a student for an exam if i felt they were ready for it by the cut-off date, and that i would do all the admin work etc. I thought I had made it pretty clear that I entered students for an exam and not the parent or student themselves, but perhaps not.

So, i'm wondering if others have something in their terms about this? Should i state that i'll terminate lessons if a parent enters their child for an exam without discussing it with me first? Is that too heavy handed? There's just no way i want the stress of being told a student(s) parent has entered them for an exam that they are absolutely nowhere near ready to sit, and me being expected to get the child through it by performing a miracle.

Also when a parent fills out the form, what do they write in the "presented by" space? Their name? My name? I've never had a single fail and i'd be furious if they were able to add my name on the entry form. I'm guessing this wouldn't happen though as they would have a different applicant number from mine. I'm a bit unsure about this.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this, plus if you would be annoyed to find a parent has entered their child for an exam without consulting you first.

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3752 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:33

If its abrsm ,wouldn't they need your applicant number to enter under your name. I suppose they could have set up another number with your name, but it's more likely that they've used their name. I've never had this happen in 34 years of teaching, only parents pushing for a child to be entered before I think they're ready. Your t and c sound pretty clear to me, so must be a misunderstanding.

#3 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:35

People don't always remember what is in T&C, or even bother to read them properly, so I always go over the main points face to face when students start. 

This sounds like a genuine misunderstanding so I wouldn't get too upset about it, just tell her gently that you have a different process and make the point that the child still has work to do.  . 

#4 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:43

I certainly wouldn't like to think they've set up another applicant number and used my name. I'll have to find out and get this sorted as that would be somewhat concerning if it was the case. I know they're away on holiday at the moment so I'll have to wait until next week before I can contact the mother.

Thanks for your reply Latin pianist.

#5 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6238 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:48

I enter myself for exams - always have done (I'm an adult) but only when teacher and I think it's time to. "Presented by" is just a free text field, it's not related to the Applicant Number". Anything can go it there - parent's name, teacher's name, Mickey Mouse, etc. In my case my teacher's name goes in there. I don't know what your pupil's parent will have put in, but it is possible it could be your name.

#6 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:49

It sounds like a genuine misunderstanding. I'm assuming it's piano? If they need you to accompany though, how would they know you are available?

#7 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:12

It is piano, yes. Seems a bit odd that the mother's name will appear on the certificate after "presented for examination by" if she has indeed filled out that part in her own name - that would infer that the mother is the teacher. Assuming she has, that is. I'll have to wait and find out.

#8 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7846 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:20

It does sound like a misunderstanding and I think that if your Ts and C's said you would do the administrative work the mother may possibly think that there is other administrative work apart from entering the pupil and that was what you meant.I think this because you say in the past she has been with a board where parents enter their children. I'd be inclined to have a gentle word <with her and "explain the difference that she didn't understand." You can also point out your worries about the fact that you need to assess how ready a child is and how much needs to be completed before the exam date - and whether this is feasible or not.

Then I would be inclined to rewrite the T's and C's making it quite clear that it is you who enters the candidates.

I don't know if this helps, but when I send out the letter "inviting"  pupils to take part in.the exams ( we have down  here a sort of job lot at the end of the school year) I also write a brief report on how much work has been done and how much remains to be done before the exam. This puts most families into top gear as far as practice is concerned.

#9 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3752 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:06

On my grade 8 LCM candidate's exam notification, it has her name as the candidate, nothing for teacher and my name as booker. I've entered quite a few candidates before, and I didnt fill anything in differently and my name and qualifications have always been on the certificate. I'm wondering if I should inform them as it would be nice to have my name on.

#10 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:47

When you say she's entered her for a different board in the past "where parents enter them" is this for music or something else? Might it just be that some other teacher has given her the impression that parents were meant to do this job? I would have thought it was always the job of the teacher/school/organisation.

#11 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:25

With ABRSM and LCM anyone can enter for an exam as long as they have registered and are over 18, at least I think!!  Terms and conditions are all very well, but to be honest I have come to the conclusion that most people forget them as quickly as possible.  That is something I have found out the hard way.

If you think the student is going to be satisfactory, then that is all that matters.  From bitter experience, I try not to stand on by professional pride too often.  Even if you are being completely reasonable, others can see it very differently. 

Take the positive attitude and let them know that loads of hard work is now necessary.  Tactfully find out the details of the entry, and when and if appropriate ask that in future they leave it to you, if that is how you prefer things. 

#12 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:34

On my grade 8 LCM candidate's exam notification, it has her name as the candidate, nothing for teacher and my name as booker. I've entered quite a few candidates before, and I didnt fill anything in differently and my name and qualifications have always been on the certificate. I'm wondering if I should inform them as it would be nice to have my name on.

Yes, you should. Maybe they have changed the form recently. The last one I filled in had an optional field for teacher/person entering/presented by.... information.

#13 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:57

With ABRSM and LCM anyone can enter for an exam as long as they have registered and are over 18, at least I think!!  Terms and conditions are all very well, but to be honest I have come to the conclusion that most people forget them as quickly as possible.  That is something I have found out the hard way.

If you think the student is going to be satisfactory, then that is all that matters.  From bitter experience, I try not to stand on by professional pride too often.  Even if you are being completely reasonable, others can see it very differently. 

Take the positive attitude and let them know that loads of hard work is now necessary.  Tactfully find out the details of the entry, and when and if appropriate ask that in future they leave it to you, if that is how you prefer things.

Yes, Sorry I wasn't clear - the OP suggested that the pupil had previously taken exams where parent-entry was the norm, which I've never come across; of course you can enter yourself or your child, but it's the excrption, isn't it?

#14 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:58

If this is the way she thinks it's done due to previous experience I'd just mention that you prefer to do exam entries for all your students. If she prefers to do it herself rather than giving you the money for you to put in the entry I'd ask that she waits for you to confirm that you feel the student is ready. I think it's more the doing it without you agreeing to readiness that's more the issue.  

One reason I like to do the exam entries is so that I'm the first to see the result and can go over the mark sheet with them before they have chance to take anything the wrong way.

As she's done the entry herself this time I'd ask for a copy of the mark sheet for your records.

#15 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:59

Yes, Sorry I wasn't clear - the OP suggested that the pupil had previously taken exams where parent-entry was the norm, which I've never come across; of course you can enter yourself or your child, but it's the excrption, isn't it?

It appears to be the exception but it could be that a large minority of teachers get students' parents to do it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Exams, parents