#1 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 12 July 2019 - 16:39

This is for the girl I wrote about in my last post, who has just passed her Grade 1. I realise she can’t really manage anything outside a 5-finger position, it takes her too long to process what the note is and then where to move, and she seems unable or unwilling to work at this. Has anyone got any ideas of books to use that stay mostly in a 5-finger position, without being too babyish? Maybe some simple arrangements of pop songs? Thanks

#2 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 12 July 2019 - 17:04

Pentascale Pro by Melody Bober. Not pop songs, but nice little tunes in 5-finger positions, but with some variety of position, includes major/minor and nice duets with teacher.

#3 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4671 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 12 July 2019 - 17:07

I do my own arrangements of popular tunes (across a wide range of styles but basically tunes people know) on Sibelius as I struggled to find things which were short and easy enough for the challenges of peri teaching. I have a whole file of these now and finding repertoire is now so much easier.

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 July 2019 - 17:08

Adult piano adventures popular book 1 has some 5 finger position pieces, but even when they're not, it is so clear that I am finding it ideal for weak students. And I alter fingering on some pieces to make it easier.If she's learnt grade 1 pieces, presumably she can cope with a bit of changing position. I have a dyslexic pupil who is coping with this book.
I like Pentascale Pro too.

#5 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 12 July 2019 - 17:09

"Around the World on Ten Fingers." - 16 pieces in the 5 finger position by Elizabeth Howard published by Ascherberg - if its still in print.

#6 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 12 July 2019 - 17:45

Just remembered another one - Graded Pieces Book 1 edited by James Ching - 62 pieces in the 5 finger position.. The book in my post above is a collection of little pieces supposed to evoke various countries. some are very short others are a page long.  The James Ching book starts off with very short pieces but  they get longer and a little more challenging as you proceed through the book. There is a Book 2 which leads on to very small finger extensions. The publisher is Keith Prowse and Co Ltd. Goth the books I have suggested are old books and I'm not sure if they are still available . They come under what I call  "a bit old fashioned but sound." I find them useful for certain types of pupil.

#7 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 12 July 2019 - 23:17

Yes, getting some students to move hand placement is initially a nightmare. I am very interested in the books Aquarelle has written about above - I have never heard of these and I will be looking into them. Thank you Aquarelle.

#8 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:21

What I use with students who are struggling to read music are Susan Paradis sheets of staves without clefs and simple black note heads. They might still be available on the free material section of her website.  I also use the large A4 grand staff which is blank and place black shims to practise note reading.  I know this isn't the original question, but it might be useful.

#9 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:23

Thank you, really helpful suggestions! I’ll check them out :)

#10 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:07

Easiest 5-finger Big Piano collection (Wise publications), Dozen-a-Day songbooks (Mini pink cover), Famous & Fun Books 2 and 3 (Alfred).  I keep a range of books at this level of difficulty as having small moves out of 5-finger position in a song they know well motivates pupils to stop 'playing by numbers' and learn their notes!