mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4947 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 10 July 2019 - 23:04

Taking on a transfer adult who passed G2 with a merit last autumn.

Looking for suggestions of nice books of rep with which to consolidate before we start thinking of G3. (She seems to be exam-minded, which I have to admit so am I although I make noises to the contrary).
All styles appear to be acceptable, so any recommendations warmly welcomed.

#2 musicposy

musicposy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 25798
  • West Sussex

Posted 10 July 2019 - 23:17

Because "Wouldn't it be loverly" is in the current Grade 3 ABRSM, I've ended up putting a few pupils on The Graded Piano Player Grades 2-3. There are quite a few in there, all well known songs which I think will have as much appeal to adults as children. It's a repertoire book that ialso doubles as an exam book so might please both of you!

Dozen a Day Songbook 2, Broadway movie and pop hits fulfils a similar brief, with its version of "Hallelujah" also appearing on this year's ABRSM Grade 3. I'm going to explore other songs from both of these books with my Grade 2-3 pupils

#3 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:43

I find Piano Mix 2 good for consolidating and moving on. Would use Piano Mix 2 for post-grade 2, and note that Piano Mix 3 has Bransle de la Torche, a current grade 3 A list piece.

#4 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4947 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:25

Ooo - nice ideas,sounds like these would be useful books to have in themselves. Already have ADAD songbook which I had in mind for someone else - will have a look to see if it is Book 2.
Many thanks, both. :)

#5 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:05

Ive recently started using the Foundation Pianist and Intermediate Pianist series (Faber) for some people and that may appeal. I think it is the Foundation Book 2 which is suitable for this level. Also adult Piano adventures classics and pop books level 2. William Gillock: "Accent on Gillock" series, either book 4 or 5 (the earlier ones may be around grade 3 in book 5 although it gets harder). Burgmuller Op 100 studies, again the earlier ones, but an investment book. The faber "Best of grade 2 and grade 3 books.

#6 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:26

Trinity (lol - apologies to the ABRSM!) may have something. I've got a violin book of theirs called Raise the Bar, which is a compendium of grades 3-5 past Trinity exam pieces. If they do one for piano for grades 1-3 that may be useful for you. Looks like you're out of luck there - book 1 is initial to grade 2. That's probably not difficult enough. http://shop.trinityc...Grade-2/2259160

Found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/1912461048

What I've been doing for violin is going round charity shops picking up any and every past ABRSM exam book I can find. Oxfam can be good for sheet music. In fact I've got too much material now, but never mind.

#7 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4947 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 11 July 2019 - 23:06

Foundation Pianist another good suggestion. My shopping list is growing nicely.
Pity the Trinity Compendium doesn't cater for between G2-3, but I will look at some of their other stuff.