jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:40

I had found out all of my duet books over the weekend, including some that I hadn't used for years, like Pauline Hall's Duets with a Difference, Mixed Doubles and the Piano Time Jazz Duets. I chose one from Duets with a Difference, because I knew it would be easy enough for him to sight read, but the one he's working on for next week is from Mixed Doubles, which is more challenging. It was wonderful to see his enjoyment! I've loved duet playing ever since my piano teacher at music college (all those years ago) got me interested. At the end of every term, she would get out great big books of duets from the college library and I loved those lessons! I do use duets a lot with my younger pupils and am very pleased that a lot of beginners' books include duet parts. I tried a duet from Duets with a Difference with my youngest pupil yesterday (the delightful little Swing Song, the first one in the book) and both she and her mum, who was sitting in, were so thrilled by how it sounded. This experience has also reminded me to play more duets with my adults.    

#47 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2233 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:36

Yes - duets are much more musically satisfying than those play-along CDs ( not that many kids even have access to a CD player these days) with their metronomic beat. It's interesting to hear which students are quick to adjust to my slight fluctuations of tempo smile.png.

After I'd done my Grade 8, a large chunk of my last few piano lessons was taken up with playing through duet arrangements of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven symphonies  with my ancient teacher.

#48 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:37

If he likes Martha Mier, there are 2 volumes of Jazz, Rags and Blues duets.

#49 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:22

If he likes Martha Mier, there are 2 volumes of Jazz, Rags and Blues duets.

Oh thanks, I didn't know about those! Will have a look now.

#50 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 22 July 2019 - 15:15

... Also, the Adult piano Adventures Classics book 2 and Popular book 2 are nice arrangements that adults enjoy.

Heartfelt thanks to ma non troppo and others who mentioned these books. After reading the recommendations on this site I decided to have them sent here for me to have a go at. I have, previously, downloaded various Easy Piano versions of classical pieces from the internet but found that the arranger's idea of 'easy' is not always mine. Some I have been unable to cope with and others are 'too simple' and sound boring which makes it difficult to keep my concentration going. 

The selection and variation in 'difficulty' in these two books means l that I can cope with some now and others I can look forward to trying later. For a slow-learning but determined adult, an excellent combination.

Thanks again.

#51 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:23

... Also, the Adult piano Adventures Classics book 2 and Popular book 2 are nice arrangements that adults enjoy.

Heartfelt thanks to ma non troppo and others who mentioned these books. After reading the recommendations on this site I decided to have them sent here for me to have a go at. I have, previously, downloaded various Easy Piano versions of classical pieces from the internet but found that the arranger's idea of 'easy' is not always mine. Some I have been unable to cope with and others are 'too simple' and sound boring which makes it difficult to keep my concentration going. 

The selection and variation in 'difficulty' in these two books means l that I can cope with some now and others I can look forward to trying later. For a slow-learning but determined adult, an excellent combination.

Thanks again.

Completely agree. Several of my adult pupils have now bought these books and are really enjoying them. As you say, so many 'easy' versions of classical pieces are very poor. In these books, the arrangements are so cleverly done that the pieces are a big improvement on anything else I've tried. Thanks again, ma no troppo!