#16 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:47

I did have an adult student who would press keys while I was talking, talk while I was playing, talk while she was playing...

#17 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19956 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:16

I have a foot in both camps, to some extent.

I have had adult students in the past who’ve been ..... difficult. Had hugely unrealistic expectations. Wouldn’t take advice. Couldn’t cut their own nails (yes, really).

However, the ones I teach now are a real delight. Long may they reign!

#18 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:18

Also I find it frustrating when an adult contacts me and really just wants to tell me about their love for the piano and how sad they are that the opportunity was robbed from them to learn as a child. And then I turn my timetable over to accommodate them, and then they cancel. Or take a single lesson, then cancel. Even if they pay, the money isn't worth it. My time and energy is wasted, again. 

I've had a few of these but I'm getting better at spotting them and not rearranging the timetable to accommodate them. I've had them book a lesson and then not even turn up and I've also had people who've come a couple of times and then wanted to come "less regularly" and then disappear without a trace. It is often those who talk a lot about not having had the chance as a child.

But I do enjoy teaching adults and even though for many of them life does get in the way in the end and they stop coming to lessons, the vast majority of them get to a stage where they are "musically literate" and could pick up some music of a grade 3-4 standard and have a go at it themselves should they wish to.

I have others who have been coming for years and have kept going despite all of life's challenges and they are tackling all kinds of music now.

I find that my adults also have a clearer idea of why they want to learn - e.g. I have a violinist at the moment who wanted to learn to play the violin so she could play folk music in a group. After 3 years she has achieved that goal and is loving playing in the group.

I am teaching a woman piano who wants to be able to play the different parts for her a capella choir and also play and accompany songs, from a melody line + guitar chords. She's getting on well.

It is hard work though - I know that from my own experience of learning horn as an adult. You have to be really motivated. I sometimes find it difficult after a long working day to pull myself together and go and practise the horn. I really have to make it my priority otherwise I would end up with no time for it at all. It's difficult when I have a couple of days free and I might want to do something else or simply laze around and the horn has to be practised. So I can understand where my adult students are coming from.

#19 maggie_piano

maggie_piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 102507

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:52

I have a few but they tend not to last very long. 

#20 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:07

I really enjoy teaching adults and the majority of my students are adults. They all bring something different to the lessons, and have various needs, and I try to help them get to wherever they want to go. I've found that it helps to have a flexible agenda and to go with the flow (whatever that is!). One lesson ended up in a garden centre once!

#21 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:36

What a lovely story, a lesson ending up in a garden centre!!!!  Must try and work out if I can do something similar.