Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:10

Who is doing music exams in the autumn? 

I thought I would kick start the thread since I have not seen one yet on here. 

Feel free to discuss instruments, grades and so on here. I am hoping to take G2 piano (I was meant to do it this summer but things kind of took a backseat for a while) so it looks like it will happen later in the year instead. 

Also doing G1 music theory exam this autumn finally! What are your plans/goals for the rest of this year then? I finished my ABRSM application last  night. 

Best of luck everyone!

#2 Scaredycat

Scaredycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Member: 887446

Posted 20 July 2019 - 21:14

Crikey, the Summer session has only just finished. However, hopefully I'll be taking my G5 theory in the Autumn. That's the plan anyway.

#3 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 20 July 2019 - 21:20

I’m planning on finally taking my grade 8 flute. I’ve postponed it twice already and am determined to do it in autumn. My pieces are getting there, scales are better than usual (whether I’ll remember them on the day is another matter though!), it’s just aural that is my nemesis.

But I will not chicken out of doing the exam!!

#4 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • UK

Posted 21 July 2019 - 13:00

Good luck to everyone!

#5 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2019 - 13:06

Good luck to everyone!

Seconded!

#6 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:27

Crikey, the Summer session has only just finished. However, hopefully I'll be taking my G5 theory in the Autumn. That's the plan anyway.

I should take a leaf out of your book and do the same. No practicals for me this Autumn for sure, but I really should just get the theory out of the way. I've just been lazy and not really put the effort in. If I have a definite deadline, I will force myself to study...! (as I would never sit an exam unprepared!)

#7 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 22 July 2019 - 13:34

I'm working on G6 theory.  I'm also trying to persuade an adult student to do a theory exam at the same time so that I won't be the only adult in the room!  When I did my G5 in March of 2017, I was the oldest person taking a theory exam by a good 20 years!  Neither my adult student nor I relish sitting an exam with a bunch of little kids, so it would be great if she and I could take exams at the same time.  She could take G3 or G4 in November if she wants.

I've been waffling back and forth on whether to do G6 in November or next March.  I have been slogging through that somber tome Harmony in Practice, trying to dredge up memories of when I studied this stuff as a young man (I blew it off at the time).  How I wish I had paid more attention and worked harder at theory in my misspent youth!  As I was decoding the mysteries of the inverted diminished seventh, I realized that G6 doesn't cover everything from Harmony in Practice.  So I have re-vectored my theory studies to focus on what I might see on the G6 exam.  Thankfully, I already know most of that stuff.  (When I first looked at G6, the figured bass scared the heck out of me, but after slogging through much of Harmony in Practice, I see that G6 tests figured bass at the most basic level, with the cadential 6-4 being the most challenging figuring.)

I won't be doing any practicals this fall.  I'm working hard on my ARSM programme, but it won't be ready until next May.  The retired conservatory professor who is helping me with it is out for the summer, so I've been working on memorization in addition to lots and lots of SLOW practice.

• Bach Prelude in F minor from WTC I, BWV 857: I can play the prelude very well from the book, and I have it completely memorized but not totally secure from memory.  Two pages.
  • Bach Fugue in F minor from WTC I, BWV 857: Four pages of tricky counterpoint, technically in four parts but most passages are three parts.  Thankfully not a fast fugue.  I can play the first three pages pretty well from the book, with a few isolated trouble spots (all theme entires).  The last page needs more hands separate and slow practice.  I can play the most of the first page and part of the second page from memory, though nowhere near secure.
  • Beethoven Sonata in E, Op. 14 No. 1, First Movement: Six pages in sonata allegro form, with a good bit of polyphony requiring careful voicing.  I have focused heavily on the technical and expressive challenges of the exposition, as the development is simpler and the recapitulation poses the same challenges as the exposition.  I can play the exposition pretty well from sheet music (but not up to speed) and the development is getting there.  I haven't worked much on the recapitulation - I'll just have to grind on it, as I've already dealt with the exposition's challenges.  I have memorized the entire exposition (though not completely secure yet) and much of the development.  The recapitulation includes several bars from the exposition, so I get those for free (though the last overlapping bar has a wicked modification...)
  • Beethoven Second Movement: A two page minuet and trio.  Memorized and working on nailing it down.  I will probably refine the interpretation with the professor, but I'm not worried about this.
  • Beethoven Third Movement: performed this from memory for G8, received 27/30 on it.  Practicing it below tempo and working on runs that occasionally plague me.  Not too worried about this movement, though I would like to perform it at  a significantly higher standard for ARSM.
  • Chopin Mazurka in C# minor, Op. 50 No. 3: Six pages.  Sigh... Not a huge fan of mazurkas... at any rate, I can play most of it from the book, but the last two pages (climaxing with some very modern-sounding modulations) still give me trouble.  I haven't started formally memorizing it yet, but I can play snatches from memory.  The first page and a half shows up again later in the piece, so I worked hard on that from the get-go.  The whole thing needs more interpretative work.
  • Debussy Bruyères: Three pages of G8-level impressionism.  I can play it fairly well from the book, and snatches from memory.  Like the Chopin, I haven't started formally memorizing it yet, and I also want to massage the interpretation some more now that the notes are mostly under my fingers.

#8 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 22 July 2019 - 14:17

I possibly may take a Grade 5 flute exam in Autumn. It would be my first flute exam. It depends on how I get on with it all. the pieces are coming. Still need loads of work on them but can see them coming together slowly. Not sure about how I will be with an accompanist though. The scales and arpeggios are ok . It is just the A and Bb 2 octave scales as I find the top G sharp and A difficult to sound properly but still have some months to work on those notes.. The sight reading is not good but not bad either. Aural is just a case of make an attempt at each answer and hope I get lucky. I haven't a clue. My ear is awful. If I don't take it autumn then I will definitely take it spring 2020.

#9 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 22 July 2019 - 20:42

Maybe my grade 6 on my Sax. I think I've got a reasonable idea of which pieces I'd like to play, so the decision is whether to try and get them all ready by November, on a pretty much standing start with my C piece at least, or take a bit more time over them and enter for it in the Spring.

#10 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:47

Hopefully my LCM Grade 7. I created an account but the thread has reminded me to check for any dates.

Dr Rogers, your post made me smile. I took Grade 5 theory in 2011 (it was Trinity - I lived in Canada at the time and there was no ABRSM centre east of Vancouver - I was in Ottawa...) and in the exam there was me and a teenager. I took 1.5 hours out of 3 and the teenager left about 10 minutes before I did. It was rather odd because the setup was more child-focused than adult-focused, but I passed with distinction! Can't say I am planning any more theory exams though.

Good luck to everyone planning an exam!

#11 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 23 July 2019 - 13:35

Hopefully my LCM Grade 7. I created an account but the thread has reminded me to check for any dates.

Dr Rogers, your post made me smile. I took Grade 5 theory in 2011 (it was Trinity - I lived in Canada at the time and there was no ABRSM centre east of Vancouver - I was in Ottawa...) and in the exam there was me and a teenager. I took 1.5 hours out of 3 and the teenager left about 10 minutes before I did. It was rather odd because the setup was more child-focused than adult-focused, but I passed with distinction! Can't say I am planning any more theory exams though.

Just out of curiosity, have you taken LCM exams before or have you decided to give them a go? If the latter, what is your reasoning, if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering as I think their piano syllabus looks really good actually and I think I'm tempted to give them a go.

#12 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 25 July 2019 - 14:46

Just out of curiosity, have you taken LCM exams before or have you decided to give them a go? If the latter, what is your reasoning, if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering as I think their piano syllabus looks really good actually and I think I'm tempted to give them a go.

Hi! I haven't done a practical exam in 20 years and the last one was ABRSM. I find the repertoire choice at LCM much more varied, and I'm seriously put off by the ABRSM aural tests etc whereas the LCM ones are more appealing to me. I also chatted to a few piano teachers at weekend piano courses who recommended LCM as a good alternative. Assuming 7 goes OK my next step will be grade 8. Yet to decide between Trinity and LCM for that. I've recently started monthly lessons so I'll be discussing that choice with my teacher.

#13 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:16

Maybe G2 pipe organ, which had to be scrapped in the summer session due to various logistics. But unlike gemmasue, I am quite likely to chicken out unless I can do something positive about my performance anxiety. sad.png

#14 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 July 2019 - 13:47

Maybe G2 pipe organ, which had to be scrapped in the summer session due to various logistics. But unlike gemmasue, I am quite likely to chicken out unless I can do something positive about my performance anxiety. sad.png

You can do it! Maybe see if you live near a music centre or shop that sells resources? How did you do on the G1 exam? How many marks did you get? 

#15 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:46

I didn't do G1. I looked at the pieces, but (with my teacher's agreement) felt that G2 would be manageable. I have various resources - despite not living on the same piece of land as a music shop - but really need to work on the anxiety problem (not easy with a diagnosed anxiety disorder). With music exams - and various other Petrifying Stuff (even Stuff I know really well) - I have an amazing ability to go completely blank and not be able to work out what comes next.

hides.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: musical instruments, grade exams, abrsm