#1 greenj

greenj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 894809

Posted 04 May 2017 - 16:51

Hi there

I want to buy an amplifier which I can plug into a laptop or iphone to play accompaniments for a small choir of 30 voices.  What kind of power do I need?

Thanks for any suggestions

#2 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:03

This is a complex question. Is this for rehearsals or for performances? How big is the rehearsal space - room, village hall, church? What type of music - keyboard/piano, orchestral, organ?

These factors will affect choice.

A smallish PA amp will work in modest spaces. So something that is a self-contained amplifier and speaker. But if it's a large space, or for performing then a lot of thought is required.

Do you know a tame sound engineer who could either help with suggestions or even demo various pieces of kit? Or try asking at the type of music shop that sells PA kit (second hand is much cheaper).

EDIT: have a look at sites such as Gear4Music or Dawsons. You don't need vast amounts of power unless you have a very big space or lots of bass

Edited by Tenor Viol, 05 May 2017 - 07:50 .

#3 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 06 May 2017 - 13:16

Do you know a tame sound engineer who could either help with suggestions or even demo various pieces of kit? Or try asking at the type of music shop that sells PA kit (second hand is much cheaper).

I'm lucky enough to have a hubby and a number of friends in this side of the industry so am no stranger to shops like this. Go on a quiet weekday and there is almost bound to be a staff geek only too happy to advise you. Some of them look a bit threatening but I haven't yet come across one that bites. :-D

#4 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 06 May 2017 - 17:56

I'm lucky enough to have a hubby and a number of friends in this side of the industry so am no stranger to shops like this. Go on a quiet weekday and there is almost bound to be a staff geek only too happy to advise you. Some of them look a bit threatening but I haven't yet come across one that bites. :-D

I agree - most serious guitar places sell PA gear and they usually like the opportunity to help out. And definitely not on a Saturday! A basic guitar amp combo might be all that's needed and they start quite cheap.

#5 Stefano

Stefano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 6561

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:56

Sorry if too late to be any use but ...

you don't want or need a guitar amp!  You may already have the thing you need, if you have a portable stereo e.g. CD player, ghetto blaster type thing, which has an auxiliary input, normally in the back.  This is usually the small size stereo plug that is the same as the mini headphones plug you are probably familiar with.  Your computer or mp3 player will have a headphone out socket, so if you have or can find a player with the same input, you simply need a cable with the same plug on both ends.  Switch the stereo to AUX or whatever tis called, and it should be fine.  I use exactly this set up all day at school, and its exactly the same as is attached to this computer I am typing this on.  

If you do source a guitar amp with an mp3 input (only a few, smaller amps have this) then yes it would work in the same way.  The reason you probably don't want such a thing if you have a choice is that the sound quality of a guitar amp is not meant to be very faithful e.g. hi-fi in the way that a CD player would at least aspire to be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choirs