#61 LizzieT

LizzieT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Member: 6386

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:29

Sorry - I should clarify my earlier post.  Section 5 outlines exemptions, and within that question 8 discusses core business purposes.  

https://ico.org.uk/m...rs-20180221.pdf

#62 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:05

Sorry - I should clarify my earlier post.  Section 5 outlines exemptions, and within that question 8 discusses core business purposes.  

https://ico.org.uk/m...rs-20180221.pdf

Thank you. I've just read it - mainly out of interest. I would imagine that the exemption if you are only keeping data for "accounts and records" would apply to the vast majority of music teachers.

#63 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 19 March 2018 - 14:06

I'd really like to know why you are so interested in this subject Aje. I am sure you are well meaning, but in my view you are stressing people out for no reason. You seem determined to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue. What is your motivation?

#64 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Member: 7146

Posted 19 March 2018 - 14:26

Odd question, but as you ask -

Firstly, I want to make sure that I have understood the requirements aright, so that my own business is operating on a sound legal footing.

Secondly, to be sure that the information I have published by a guest author on my site is helpful and accurate to fellow professionals. 

?And thirdly, this is a forum where teachers have the chance to share and support one another - as this is an issue likely to impact many of us, it seems worthy of discussion … no?

#65 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 19 March 2018 - 14:28

I'd really like to know why you are so interested in this subject Aje. I am sure you are well meaning, but in my view you are stressing people out for no reason. You seem determined to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue. What is your motivation?

I think it's the issue that's stressful, not the messenger! And if we have to do this thing, it's helpful to share information and share advice. In any case, EPTA told its members to look into whether they needed to register and ISM is obviously looking into it for their members too, so it is something that affects us - though I'm still hoping we won't need to register. But I agree in so far as the issue creates stress. 

#66 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:35

But again, this would be an exemption from REGISTERING, not an exemption from COMPLYING with the new legislation, correct?

Might be in the UK. No idea.  No one here seems to know anything about registering. I've  now had a couple of e-mails from bank and insurance who have been kind enough to tell me how they are going to look after my personal data. From the list of things they mention it sounds exactly the same as it is now.

I'm just wondering what will happen the day some great big sunspot upsets everything. We are far too reliant on technology and one day the whole lot is bound to blow up.  Then I suppose we will be at the mercy of the marauding hordes. I've really got beyond caring.

#67 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:39

Aje, i can't seem to quote you on this device so apologies. Thank you for your clarification.

#68 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 19 March 2018 - 19:56

I'm just wondering what will happen the day some great big sunspot upsets everything. We are far too reliant on technology and one day the whole lot is bound to blow up.  

This worries me a bit, and is one reason why I like keeping paper records, paper bank statements and such like. sad.png ohmy.png

#69 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 March 2018 - 22:36

<going wildly off topic>

It occurs to me that the UK would probably be a more efficient and happy place if we could develop the ability calmly to nod and ignore silly rules that descend from government departments. I'm sure plenty of places have a fairly lackadaisical attitude to implementing rules whose point they don't get. But we're not the worst!

Many years ago, I had a nice German friend, who went to live and work in Scotland. Being German, she took her duties towards the local council and administration very seriously. She'd heard somewhere that foreigners living in the country for longer than a certain period were obliged to declare themselves to the authorities. She duly popped along one Saturday to the Police station to introduce herself.

Desk Sergeant: "Madame has anyone committed a crime against you?"

Friend: "No"

Desk Sergeant: "Madame, have you committed a crime yourself?"

Friend: "Definitely not"

Desk Sergeant: "Madame, we are the police. Unless you fit into one of the aforementioned categories, we don't need to know about you!"

<back on topic>

I think in future I will make sure I use a false name when I contact music teachers, and offer to pay by bartering in grocery items. That way there is no need for any electronic or paper record, and if anyone does hack my teacher's computer, maliciously passing my details to an international crime syndicate, all they'll find out is that Whiskers McFlighty values the scale of B-flat-major at two baked-bean-cans and a home-made quiche.

#70 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:25

That reminds me of the story told to me by a friend who was working in Brussels as a negotiator for some arrangement or another some years ago.   His brief was to put the British point of view and to say which  terms were acceptable and which were not. There he was, sitting next to the French negotiator. My friend was taking a lot of time trying to put the point that the British could not agree with the others about something and the meeting dragged on and on. Lunchtime drew near and the French of course are very particular about lunch. Finally the Frenchman, desperate for  his steak and his bottle of wine, said to my friend "Why on earth don't you do what we do -  shut up, sign and then go home and find  some way round  what doesn't suit you." I'm afraid my friend wouldn't  tell me what he did !

#71 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2230 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 23 March 2018 - 15:49

Just wondering whether the ISM webcast last Tuesday shed any further light? I believe Mel had registered.

#72 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 23 March 2018 - 16:54

Just wondering whether the ISM webcast last Tuesday shed any further light? I believe Mel had registered.

I would be interested to know this too.  I had a rehearsal so couldn't 'attend' but I'm hoping it will be available as a replay - they usually are.  

#73 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 23 March 2018 - 17:02

I watched it on replay from the first time it was on. I seem to remember it's on You Tube as well. Worth watching, if not the most enthralling hour I've spent (I really hate webinars where all you can see are the powerpoint slides. For this particular topic I  would have appreciated seeing an encouraging smiley person to hold my hand in a virtual sense as well!) But given that I knew absolutely nothing about GDPR before watching it, it was very valuable in getting me started off in preparation. It's good on the different legal basis for holding the data and defining which ones are most appropriate.

#74 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 23 March 2018 - 18:40

So according to the webcast do music teachers need to register or just do the adhering to protocol bit?

#75 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:12

So according to the webcast do music teachers need to register or just do the adhering to protocol bit?

In the sea of information I've been reading I've forgotten what the ISM said on this - I think I remember they directed us to the ICO website and the assessment questionnaire for that. Sure someone who watched the recent repeat will correct me if wrong.