#1 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 897222
  • South Wales

Posted 20 January 2019 - 20:29

As the title says. Anybody joining me? I am doing Grade 2 this March.

Hoping my nerves are slightly better this time given I now know what to expect.

Still detest the sight-reading element and wish ABRSM would give 1 minute to prepare instead of 30 seconds.

#2 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 899386
  • Penarth

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:55

I'm doing my Grade 5 in March - it will be my first piano exam!

I see you're in South Wales - what centre are you using? I'm going to Cardiff Central.

I'm also worried about nerves. Normally I don't have an issue with performance anxiety (I'm a lecturer), but I completely lost it in my UK driving exam and was shaking so badly I could barely start the car. (I did not pass.) I wasn't expecting that to happen at all so didn't know how to handle it and am hoping the same doesn't happen at the piano exam! 

Doing practice performances of you exam pieces in front of new people apparently helps a lot. You get more exposure to the adrenaline-fueled performance aspect and start to gain confidence with managing it. If you're not far from me (I'm in Penarth), maybe we should play for each other as performance practice before our exams!

#3 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:56

Hi Dynari!

Sorry to year about your nerves. Like you, I have no anxiety around public speaking or even singing in front of folk but my Grade 1 exam threw me for a loop!

Nerves are not a bad thing but they got out of control during my G1 exam. I hope its not so bad for G2 now that I have accepted that I will be nervous. The key is - like you say - to "perform" as often as possible in front of others and practise managing the nerves so to speak.

Would love to take you up on your offer but I am closer Bristol than Penarth and without a car at this time. Thank you though ????

#4 Penfold42

Penfold42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 899233

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:28

Hi, I am doing my grade 1 this Spring. Really not too nervous at the moment but I am sure that will change nearer the time. I am trying to keep things in perspective. I am learning for fun, not for a job or a career in music so I should treat the exam in the same way. Practice to do as best as I can and as long as I get a pass I will have achieved something worth doing.

#5 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:26

Superb Penfold42! Good luck to you. I too am not persuing for a job and just for enjoyment but I like to challenge myself and I would prefer to be a 'good' pianist rather than just scrape a pass... alas, a pass is a pass and an exam result does not always reflect your true ability. So really its more of a milestone met. However, I think my nerves at G1 surprised me. Learning the piano has and continues to be such a joy and reward so I guess it means more to me than anything I ever did at Uni, iykwim.

Keep us posted. Which pieces have you chosen for your G1 exam?

#6 Penfold42

Penfold42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 13:07

I agree with the challenge yourself aspect. Also I am aiming for as high as pass as I can get, I want to be the best pianist that I can be and I’m sure I’ll get nerves closer to the exam but I’m trying to keep telling myself that the examiner wants me to pass, she/he wants to see me enjoy my music so I’ll put on the best show I can. I believe that most decent people want others to do well so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

You got this!!!

#7 Penfold42

Penfold42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 13:12

Sorry forgot, I have chosen Minuet, Wiegenlied and Egyptian level.

What pieces have you picked for level 2?

#8 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:12

Hello everyone!

Having originally planned to sit my Grade 8 Flute during the autumn term, life got in the way so my teacher and I agreed to delay it, so I've just put in my application to sit it in the spring. I'm doing Trinity - nicer repertoire and no singing! I'm feeling nervously excited, and looking forward to starting practicing my pieces with an accompanist.

Off out to my lesson shortly. Scales this week, I think.

#9 suziesax

suziesax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Member: 895611
  • West Yorkshire

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:01

I cant decide whether to enter G6 flute or not. I think I might wait until the Summer, but knowing me I will probably enter next Friday. I have done so many I don't get nervous as such. The room I take my exams in has such beautiful acoustics, I tend to enjoy the fact that I sound so much nicer than I do in my lesson and that distracts me. I forgot to feed back my results from my clarinet exam in November. I got a merit at G7 and distinction marks for all of pieces. It just goes to prove that the exam room works for me! Shame it didn't work so well for my sight-reading and scales.

#10 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:44

Have just posted my entry for G7 flute.
My first flute exam at 66!

#11 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 899386
  • Penarth

Posted 21 January 2019 - 22:58

Exciting times! I like your choice of instruments. Piano, flute, and harp sounds familiar!

#12 Penfold42

Penfold42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 23:51

Best of luck, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

#13 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:26

So glad to see I'm not alone and that there are more of us :)

Penfold42, I absoloutely agree with you! :) Thanks for reminding me that the examiners do indeed want us to pass and do well :)

I have some Medical challenges recently that have meant my practise has been much less than I would like so I am going in with the aim of just doing my best so this encourages me, thank you.

I am doing the last round of the 2017/2018 exam pieces as follows:

• Piece A: Attwood - 'Allegretto'
  • Piece B: Reinecke - 'Song'
  • Piece C: Schmitz - 'Gospel Flair'

'Song' still need alot of work to polish off to be honest but the other two would pass now I feel.

My scales also need alot more work than I thought.  In private practise I did well but as soon as I played them for me teacher... well crying.gif

Helen_flute, lots f luck! biggrin.png My Son does the Trinity Guitar exams.  They have some lovely pieces.

Susiesax, thats an amazing result!  Well done you laugh.pnglaugh.png Superb!  I love that you have done so many that you don't get nervous as such.  I would love to fel more relaxed as time goes by.  I wonder if this will happen for me too.  My sight-reading is the worst too... well actually its not bad, its just 30 seconds preparation is not enough. 1 minute would be better.  The 30 seconds just makes me anxious and I make mistakes.

dorfmouse, amazing!  I love that you are doing your first flute exam at 66.  Really inspired and encouraged by that smile.png  Love your Russian Proverb, too!

#14 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 22 January 2019 - 19:22

My scales also need alot more work than I thought.  In private practise I did well but as soon as I played them for me teacher... well crying.gif

This is exactly what happens to me! Last night we did scales at the end of my lesson, rather than at the begining, and I made a total mess. I put it down to being tired, because we'd worked hard on my most challenging piece, but it does tell me they need more work, even though they feel fairly secure when I play them at home.

#15 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 22 January 2019 - 21:03

It has felt like I am rowing the boat very hard with my scales, against the current! Panic was beginning to set in! My teacher insists it's all in my head and has prescribed lots of singing the note names away from the flute and imagining playing. It's beginning to work I think, but a bit of praying might still be a precaution .....

Am thoroughly enjoying getting the pieces up to a standard; to have had a good go at lots on the lists over the last year, and finally settled on the Telemann Sonata in G, Cantabile and Allegro, the Moskowski Spanischer Tanz and the CPE Bach Solo Sonata, Adagio.