Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 23 November 2018 - 21:39

Do you:

• want to learn the basics of vocal health and technique?
  • want to avoid vocal fatigue/voice loss at work?
  • wish you had a richer voice?
  • want to sing without developing dryness or nodules?
  • want to learn the difference between a ‘classical sound’ and a ‘gospel sound’?
  • want to develop your musical skills, knowledge and understanding?
  • want to learn to sight-sing?
  • want to improve ensemble singing skills (tuning, intonation, rhythm)?
  • want to learn more about the gospel singing idiom?

If you've answered 'yes' to any of these, then you may be interested in the first course organised by The Phoenix Collective - 'The Holistic Voice'.

This will run in South London on 30th-31st March 2019 and it will comprise Alexander Technique (Kathy Hulme), Vocal Technique (Allan Hubert-Wright), Kodály Musicianship (Cyrilla Rowsell and others) and Gospel Singing (Ken Burton).   All are well-known and experienced in their respective fields.

The course will also feature an evening concert by Ken's award-winning London Adventist Chorale.   Ken is known particularly for his work on Songs of Praise and has appeared on many choral programmes.

For more information and how to book (Early Bird rate until 31st January) please go to www.thephoenixcollective.co.uk and find out more about this group of musicians, all passionate about the arts, music and education.

We would love to welcome some forumites to this inaugural course!

:wub:

#2 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 23 November 2018 - 21:49

Sounds wonderful Cyrilla, hoping planning to be there biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

#3 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:25

Hi Cyrilla, this looks fab! Don't think I can make 2019 - my Holiday Of A Lifetime starts 2 weeks after and $$$ has all gone on that! Are you planning to run it in future years?

#4 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 22:26

Hi ejw21 - I'm hoping that we will run the same course again, probably in different parts of the country.

We'll have to see how this one goes first!

Glad you like the look of it - I'm very excited about it :).

Drop me a PM if you want to know any more or discuss finance etc.

Holiday of a Lifetime sounds fab!!!

:)

#5 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 30 November 2018 - 16:55

Good stuff!!

#6 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 23:55

This is just a reminder that the Early Bird rate for this course ends on 31st January.

All details and the opportunity to book are to be found here:  https://thephoenixco...uk/courses.html.    Group discounts are available.

I'm very excited about it - the presenters are amazing and it's quite an original combination of voice-related subjects.

If you would like either an electronic flyer or hard copies of the same, please contact me either here or through the Phoenix website.   

Also please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the course.

It would be great to see some forum faces there!

smile.png

#7 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 00:01

You might like to read the experience of a student on a course last April, when she had a 30-minute session with Allan Hubert-Wright, one of the wonderful presenters on 'The Holistic Voice' course.   I found this immensely moving.   This is posted here with Julie's permission.

Finding My Voice…                                                            by Julie Nye

As a community choir leader and teacher, I have full confidence in my voice - I use it to encourage, empower and educate others. But what about MY voice, the one that comes from an intimate and personal place, the one that chimes with and reflects the personality I identify with?

In my family of origin, I was the good girl, the appeaser, the ‘nice’ one, with a sweet and pleasant voice to match. Singing in a classical style was easy too, but then I’m a good mimic. As an adult, I have never felt happy with these voices, nor have I been able to find an alternative, though not for want of trying.

Enter Allan Hubert-Wright!  Knowing we only had 30 minutes, I expressed something of this to him, briefly and ineptly. After listening to me sing, he was somehow able to take me, for the first time in my life, to a voice I connected with; one that felt congruent with my sense of self; one that felt integrated within rather than separate from me; a voice I could feel at one with as a performer not just as a teacher. He did this as a total stranger to me.

I have been to various singing teachers over the years but never been guided like this. What was different? Allan has immense depth and breadth of subject knowledge and vast experience as singer and teacher. (How many singing teachers could coach beginners and professionals singing opera to jazz to Renaissance to pop?) I think that this, along with his intuitive approach, enabled him to know exactly what to do to help me uncover and develop what was there, rather than apply a one-size-fits-all formula or technique.

Even after that half an hour, I felt a different sort of confidence emerge. Our voices are intimately bound up with who we are, our culture, roles we adopt and situations we are in. These clearly do not need to be fixed. It was exciting and profound to unearth new aspects of my voice.

#8 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 21:06

I've just booked on this!!!! It's going to be fabulous. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Would definitely be good to see some other forum people there. I'll bring the cake. party1.gifwhistling.gif

#9 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 23:49

Just a reminder that the Early Bird rate for The Holistic Voice course ends on Thursday (31st Jan).

There will be at least four forum members there :) :) :).

It really is going to be a lovely experience - absolutely the top tutors in their respective fields and amazing value for money (cost includes lunches and refreshments on both days, top-class tuition and a bees-knees concert).

:wub:

#10 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 29 January 2019 - 21:28

I would absolutely love to do this but

1. I can't really afford this plus a hotel stay and travel costs

2. It's Mother's day weekend and I will be working

You do some really good courses Cyrilla :)

#11 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:24

I've just persuaded someone else to come too! Going to be a great weekend. Shame it's Mothers' Day but just have to hope my mother understands laugh.png

#12 Oboedad

Oboedad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Member: 888179

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:14

Looks very interesting - sure my daughter would be interested but sadly it clashes with orchestra rehearsals . Will keep an eye out for other courses - somewhere in the Midlands would be good!

#13 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 14:02

Yay Splog, thank you!

A new forums member is coming and is getting over the Mothers' Day problem by bringing her mum on the course too!   :)

Oboedad - thank you - I'm hoping to run the course again in different areas - perhaps PM me, if you know of a good venue in the Midlands and have contacts who might be interested?   Obviously we have to have a certain number of participants in order to make the course viable.

:)

#14 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:51

I would be very interested in a course in the Midlands.

#15 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 22:16

Thanks, Sylvette.

Perhaps if you and Oboedad would PM me with contact details I can keep you informed.

Alternatively, go to www.thephoenixcollective.co.uk and sign up to the mailing list.

smile.png