143 replies to this topic

#31 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17640 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 May 2019 - 14:54

Grade 2 pipe organ - I think.

For pieces, I'm looking at:

Bach: Warum sollt ich mich denn gramen 

Velde: Veni, veni, Emmanuel

Vierne: Interlude No 1

I'm most confident on the Bach, least confident on the Interlude (recent change of mind) and hope to get through all the changes of manual with the Velde. I'm not especially worried about scales or aural, and I haven't tackled any sight-reading yet.

....Then again, with all the bad reports about ABRSM, I may abandon the whole thing. It's not going to work if they schedule my exam for when a service is taking place in the Church, or if they make a fuss about me doing the aural on the same day but at a different venue because there is no piano at the Church.

I haven't entered due to an early holiday putting a spanner in the works re practice. Unfortunately, I couldn't arrange for the holiday cottage in Ireland to have a pipe organ installed for me sad.png so I'm postponing the exam until the autumn. The snag with that, of course, is that there may not be any exams here in November if the teachers collectively don't submit enough work.... 

I always did Aurals using the organ, grades 5,6, and 8  (missed out 7) , but that was back in the 60's. I cant see why they should need to be done on a piano.

#32 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:22

Hey Dr. Rogers, I was just browsing the Diplomas thread and it seems you should have done your G8 now? How did it go? I chuckled when I saw your PhD title -
'My dissertation had the witty, engaging title of "Designing Cost-Effective Secure Processors for Embedded Systems: Principles, Challenges, and Architectural Solutions". ' and thought, if you can do that, you must be surely able to play Bach well. Just replace "cost-" with "practice- effective" ....

#33 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5954 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:13

Grade 2 pipe organ - I think.

For pieces, I'm looking at:

Bach: Warum sollt ich mich denn gramen 

Velde: Veni, veni, Emmanuel

Vierne: Interlude No 1

I'm most confident on the Bach, least confident on the Interlude (recent change of mind) and hope to get through all the changes of manual with the Velde. I'm not especially worried about scales or aural, and I haven't tackled any sight-reading yet.

....Then again, with all the bad reports about ABRSM, I may abandon the whole thing. It's not going to work if they schedule my exam for when a service is taking place in the Church, or if they make a fuss about me doing the aural on the same day but at a different venue because there is no piano at the Church.

I haven't entered due to an early holiday putting a spanner in the works re practice. Unfortunately, I couldn't arrange for the holiday cottage in Ireland to have a pipe organ installed for me sad.png so I'm postponing the exam until the autumn. The snag with that, of course, is that there may not be any exams here in November if the teachers collectively don't submit enough work.... 

I always did Aurals using the organ, grades 5,6, and 8  (missed out 7) , but that was back in the 60's. I cant see why they should need to be done on a piano.

I can't see why either - but in the organ syllabus they do specify a piano, preferably in the same location. Perhaps I could do some arm-twisting.

#34 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 19 May 2019 - 14:46

Could you borrow an electric one for the exam?

#35 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 20 May 2019 - 16:28

Hey Dr. Rogers, I was just browsing the Diplomas thread and it seems you should have done your G8 now? How did it go? I chuckled when I saw your PhD title -
'My dissertation had the witty, engaging title of "Designing Cost-Effective Secure Processors for Embedded Systems: Principles, Challenges, and Architectural Solutions". ' and thought, if you can do that, you must be surely able to play Bach well. Just replace "cost-" with "practice- effective" ....

It's actually this Friday - just a few days a way!  I think I'm as ready as my arthritic hands and aging, cloudy brain will ever be.

• Bach - Prelude and Fugue in D minor from WTC II, BWV 875: The fugue is very solid, and I hope it will impress the examiner.  It really breathes, and I'm able to bring out the counterpoint and, at least in my mind, expose a glimmer of Bach's genius.  The prelude, however, is hit and miss.  Sometimes I really like how I play it, but sometimes it just goes to pot.  It only has two voices, but the tempo is pretty quick ("Allegro veloce" per Busoni) and there are many, many potential problem areas.  I tend to perform better under pressure than in practice, so hopefully I won't stumble too much.
  • Beethoven - Third mov't from Sonata Op. 14 No 1, Allegro comodo: I play this fairly well if my allegro is truly comodo.  It falls apart if I try to play it too fast.  I just hope I have the presence of mind to kick it off at a reasonable tempo in the exam.  I should be okay if I can keep it to a manageable tempo.
  • Brahms - Intermezzo in A minor Op. 76 No. 7: I'm pretty confident with this one.  There's one note in the left hand that I sometimes miss, but that's my only real concern there.
  • Scales and arpeggios: No worries here - I've worked hard and now I have them where I want them.  I only mess up when I get distracted or in a hurry - in the exam I'll be deliberate and focused, so I should be fine.
  • Aural: My average on e-music maestro is about 80%, which includes my inauspicious beginnings.  My current average would probably be in the 90s.  I don't expect a perfect aural score, but at least I won't make a fool of myself.
  • Sight reading: This is a tossup.  I practice it every day.  If they give me something in the classical or romantic style, I should be fine.  If it's something jazzy, I'll probably bomb it.  Baroque could go either way.  But I will just keep going and try to maintain a sense of the rhythm, and leave the score to the piano gods.

I'm confident I'll pass, and may even get merit.  I would love to get distinction, but that's very much up in the air.  Thankfully we tend to get results pretty quickly here.  One of my students is also doing Grade 2 that day - she and I will both be on pins and needles until the results come in the mail! 

My exam is late in the afternoon on Friday.  I think I'll ask my wife out for tacos at our favorite Mexcian joint once the exam is over.  (One advantage of living in Texas - it's easy to find good, authentic Mexican food if you want it!)

Edit: fixed BWV number.  I had initially put BWV 816, which is a French Suite.

Edit: fixed WTC volume number... I swear I'm not getting nervous!

#36 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 20 May 2019 - 17:02

Sounds fine, you seem to be in a good place with your prep. Enjoy the exam if you can and treats afterwards!

#37 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17640 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 May 2019 - 17:39

Good luck Austin. I agree that that P&F is one of the few where the Prelude is tricker than the fugue, at least from about half way through (and I have played most of them) .  E Major I never liked so its not one of my favourite Beethovens, a steady tempo is certainly safer !

#38 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:45

Got my exam date last night, grade 3 piano 5th July so 5 weeks today. I've never been bothered by exam nerves but when I opened the email yesterday a wave of uncertainty came over me. I feel ready, I know my 3 chosen pieces well enough to play them from memory and I know the required scales etc. However to my surprise I felt a niggle of doubt and a slight feel of panic knowing the date is looming. I requested a July  date and I've prepared for it, but still, now the date is confirmed the nerves have kicked in. I'm sure it will be fine on the day and if not then it's not the end of the world but for now, for the fist time I have exam nerveswacko.png

#39 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 31 May 2019 - 14:00

Good luck, ABN!  Try not to let the nerves get to you.

#40 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:10

Got my exam date last night, grade 3 piano 5th July so 5 weeks today. I've never been bothered by exam nerves but when I opened the email yesterday a wave of uncertainty came over me. I feel ready, I know my 3 chosen pieces well enough to play them from memory and I know the required scales etc. However to my surprise I felt a niggle of doubt and a slight feel of panic knowing the date is looming. I requested a July  date and I've prepared for it, but still, now the date is confirmed the nerves have kicked in. I'm sure it will be fine on the day and if not then it's not the end of the world but for now, for the fist time I have exam nerveswacko.png

You've memorised all three pieces?! That's amazing! I've been playing my pieces since the end of last year and can securely play only one of them from memory. 

What do you think has made a difference to your nerves this time? smile.png If it makes you feel any better, you can get used to your nerves. In fact, I'm so surprised to hear that someone might not even be nervous about an exam! That's a completely unfamiliar thought to me. 

I got my exam date today, which is Friday 19th July. I was hoping for a bit sooner than that because I'm away the second week of July so would have preferred to have done the exam by then. I'll definitely be super prepared by then. 

#41 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 13:16

Got my exam date last night, grade 3 piano 5th July so 5 weeks today. I've never been bothered by exam nerves but when I opened the email yesterday a wave of uncertainty came over me. I feel ready, I know my 3 chosen pieces well enough to play them from memory and I know the required scales etc. However to my surprise I felt a niggle of doubt and a slight feel of panic knowing the date is looming. I requested a July date and I've prepared for it, but still, now the date is confirmed the nerves have kicked in. I'm sure it will be fine on the day and if not then it's not the end of the world but for now, for the fist time I have exam nerveswacko.png

You've memorised all three pieces?! That's amazing! I've been playing my pieces since the end of last year and can securely play only one of them from memory.

What do you think has made a difference to your nerves this time? smile.png If it makes you feel any better, you can get used to your nerves. In fact, I'm so surprised to hear that someone might not even be nervous about an exam! That's a completely unfamiliar thought to me.

I got my exam date today, which is Friday 19th July. I was hoping for a bit sooner than that because I'm away the second week of July so would have preferred to have done the exam by then. I'll definitely be super prepared by then.
Thanks, one of the three, hallelujah has been memorized due to repeated playing but the other two, blues in the attic and when I finally made my third choice Giga were intentionally memorized as I feel I can 'perform ' a piece better if it is committed to memory.
I think what threw me with the nerves was finding out I'm not at my preferred exam centre and I'm a little uneasy with change, but I intend to check it out well before my exam to put my mind at ease.
Very best of luck for the 19th :)

#42 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 03 June 2019 - 13:53

Got my exam date last night, grade 3 piano 5th July so 5 weeks today. I've never been bothered by exam nerves but when I opened the email yesterday a wave of uncertainty came over me. I feel ready, I know my 3 chosen pieces well enough to play them from memory and I know the required scales etc. However to my surprise I felt a niggle of doubt and a slight feel of panic knowing the date is looming. I requested a July date and I've prepared for it, but still, now the date is confirmed the nerves have kicked in. I'm sure it will be fine on the day and if not then it's not the end of the world but for now, for the fist time I have exam nerveswacko.png

Thanks, one of the three, hallelujah has been memorized due to repeated playing but the other two, blues in the attic and when I finally made my third choice Giga were intentionally memorized as I feel I can 'perform ' a piece better if it is committed to memory.
I think what threw me with the nerves was finding out I'm not at my preferred exam centre and I'm a little uneasy with change, but I intend to check it out well before my exam to put my mind at ease.
Very best of luck for the 19th smile.png

Ah, I completely understand. I would be more nervous, too, if it was a different centre, different piano etc. 

I'll also play Giga and Blues in the attic! I think the latter is so much fun to play. I really enjoyed the process of learning it and if I had to make a prediction of my exam performance right now, I think it'll be my strongest piece. Good luck to you, too. :) 

#43 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:49

Got my date for G3 piano, the afternoon of 20th July, the last possible date!

#44 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:54

Got my date for G3 piano, the afternoon of 20th July, the last possible date!

Good luck for the 20th July
What pieces are you playing ?

#45 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:00

Thank you!

I'm doing Bransle de la Torche, Hallelujah and Wouldn't It Be Luverly? 

Still got some work to do on all of them. particularly the arpeggiated chords and the staccato bar endings in the Bransle, not letting the left hand dominate in Hallelujah and balancing the voices in Luverly, but they are coming together well. I think!