Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 05 May 2019 - 18:17

Congrats F#m!!  And all the other #ms too biggrin.png

That looks a very interesting course Maizie. Are you doing it as part of a degree, or are you choosing modules that take your interest to study just as a "hobby"? - I use the term loosely!

Well, both, really biggrin.png  My long and ludicrous educational history is that I did a full-time biology degree at the age one usually does these things.  I had dropped all the 'boring' not-science subjects as soon as I could through school...by the time I finished my biology degree I began to think maybe some of that stuff might be interesting.  I mananged a year and bit after finishing uni before the lack of learning got unbearable, and signed up with the OU.  Did a BA mostly based on classical studies and almost done a BSc based mostly on physics.  Over that time, I've come to realise that pretty much everything is interesting if you look at it the right way, and learning is what I love and what keeps me sane (really, if my head isn't occupied with something it finds something to occupy itself with, not always entirely healthily; Mr Maizie says can always tell when it's near time for the next OU module to start as the few months off are taking effect!!)

Thing is, the very bestest module of my biology degree was 'the epidemiology of infectious disease', and I loved it so much I was considering further study in epidemiology.  Didn't happen, but then a couple of years ago I discovered that the University of London distance programmes include epidemiology.  The last module of the physics was not enthralling me, so instead of sticking it out (this is all for fun, remember) I dropped out and leapt over to this module.  Has made me realise that I really really did love all that stuff.  Looking at whether finances, etc, will allow that further study to finally happen...

Of course, this does all come back nicely to the same problem I have with music - I have motivation but I don't have direction.  There's nothing to stop me just studying stuff on my own, but the structure of a curriculum (or teacher or someone or something) telling me what to look at next is what I don't seem able to cope without!

Ah! I understand completely since my Biology degree incorporated 2 units of Parasitology (and associated diseases) and Plant Pathology (even more diseases) and they were quite the most interesting units.  Good enough reason for you to drop the Physics and leap to the epidemiology. biggrin.png

#20447 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 05 May 2019 - 19:01

Just booked a holiday.

#20448 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 05 May 2019 - 20:59

Being treated to two encores from Raphael Wallfisch and John York in concert at the Leamington Music Festival, one of which was Pablo Casals' Song of the Birds wub.png

#20449 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 16:23

I'm going to be a grandma!

#20450 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 09 May 2019 - 17:30

Congratulations from one who had third granddaughter last weekend !   I can  recommend grandparenthood ! woot.gif

#20451 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 09 May 2019 - 18:29

Congratulations from one who had third granddaughter last weekend !   I can  recommend grandparenthood ! :woot:
Congratulations to you both.

I am going to be a great-great Aunt later in the year. First time we’ve ever had five generations in the family.

#20452 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 20:58

Congratulations from one who had third granddaughter last weekend ! I can recommend grandparenthood ! :woot:

I am going to be a great-great Aunt later in the year. First time we’ve ever had five generations in the family.

Wow!!

#20453 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 09 May 2019 - 21:48

Congratulations from one who had third granddaughter last weekend ! I can recommend grandparenthood ! :woot:
Wow!!
MamaDaisy (87 in July); my sister (65); my niece (45): my great-niece (24) and great-great ? due in October Looking forward to seeing the picture of them all in due course.

#20454 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:44

congrats banjogirl.

one of our most treasured photograph is a five generations picture. MY OH and his mum and her mum with our daughter and her son. Sadly about 18 months later OH gran died aged 95 so it is extra special now.

#20455 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 10 May 2019 - 23:42

I played a whole concert band rehearsal (2 hours worth) on alto sax tonight smile.pngsaxophone.gif 

For half of the rehearsal I was playing the 2nd alto part by myself (with the rest of the band obvs) against 2 1st alto players. I actually managed to play most of the pieces we played despite the fact that my embouchure on sax is still fairly weak and i can't get the lower notes (from e on the stave downwards) cleanly

#20456 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6193 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:42

I played a whole concert band rehearsal (2 hours worth) on alto sax tonight smile.pngsaxophone.gif

For half of the rehearsal I was playing the 2nd alto part by myself (with the rest of the band obvs) against 2 1st alto players. I actually managed to play most of the pieces we played despite the fact that my embouchure on sax is still fairly weak and i can't get the lower notes (from e on the stave downwards) cleanly

For low notes on sax, think singing low notes and flatten the tongue to create more space and don't blow too hard

#20457 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:15

Embouchure inside the mouth is the same for all wind instruments, flute, oboe, clarinet, sax - pretend you are pronouncing vowels - i, e, a, o, u depending on how deep the note is.

#20458 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 11 May 2019 - 13:33

Embouchure inside the mouth is the same for all wind instruments, flute, oboe, clarinet, sax - pretend you are pronouncing vowels - i, e, a, o, u depending on how deep the note is.

I only play the flute, but I doubt that is true - it is different for different types of flute (different size, modern/baroque), and the different 'vowel sounds' will change the tone colour considerably, but don't change much for pitch.

#20459 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 11 May 2019 - 20:44

Heading home after after a concert in Suffolk. 250 performers and it was a sell out.

Just wish I hadn't opted to wear a jacket, which was optional, as it was rather warm in the hall.

#20460 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 11 May 2019 - 22:46

An advantage of having to downgrade to a digital piano is that I was able to record one part of a duet today, and then play along with the recording. Duets are such fun.