11 replies to this topic

#1 Clarrie

Clarrie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 887427

Posted 30 June 2015 - 15:41

One of my students is taking grade 5 clarinet next week.  What music would you suggest she looks at next?  Specific works or anthologies/collections, tutor books etc.

I would like to expand her repertoire before even thinking about grade 6 (and grade 5 theory needs to be passed first).  This is a good student who I am sure will go on to do eventually take grade 8 but not go on to be a professional musician.

All thoughts gratefully received!  :)

Thanks.

#2 Mdmadigan24

Mdmadigan24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 888244

Posted 30 June 2015 - 23:18

Is she a distinction level student?
If so, she could try the first movement of the second Brahms sonata as it's not too technically difficult but would teach her a lot about musicality and interpretation,

#3 Clarrie

Clarrie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:40

Thanks for this suggestion. She's technically sound but struggles with musicality, partly I think due to lack of confidence.

All ideas appreciated! ????

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:56

Is she a distinction level student?
If so, she could try the first movement of the second Brahms sonata as it's not too technically difficult but would teach her a lot about musicality and interpretation,

I don't think you necessarily have to be distinction gr. 5 to get something from the Brahms :)

Other possibilities : all the Finzi 5 Bagatelles except the Fughetta, the two slow Lutoslawski Dance Preludes (2 and 4), much of Paul Reade's Victorian Kitchen Garden suite, Tartini/Jacob Concertino.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17685 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:26

I love thge Finzi Bagatelles, but only as a pianist have I played three of them.

#6 violoboist

violoboist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 9023

Posted 02 July 2015 - 19:08

I love the Reade too!

#7 Crotchettymoomoo

Crotchettymoomoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 656906
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 02 July 2015 - 19:12

I love thge Finzi Bagatelles, but only as a pianist have I played three of them.

I'm playing 'Carol' at Stalybridge.

It's on the grade 3 syllabus and although it's quite simple note-wise , it sounds so different when you get the dynamics right -it might be a good one to start with if you do look at the 'five' if she struggles with musicality.

#8 clariflutegal

clariflutegal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Member: 352159
  • Scunthorpe - North Lincolnshire

Posted 02 July 2015 - 22:21

I really love Baermann's Adagio for Clarinet.  It is a Grade 6 piece, but very slow and musical.  It's one of my favourite pieces along with Mozart's Clarinet Concerto :)

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17685 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:44

It's on the grade 3 syllabus and although it's quite simple note-wise , it sounds so different when you get the dynamics right -it might be a good one to start with if you do look at the 'five' if she struggles with musicality.

I played Carol and Forlane with Ian G at Stalybridge !  Or was it a Leeds one, not sure now.  I assume Seer Green is accompanying you as its not one of mine this year.

#10 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:19

I have this book of Debussy pieces arranged for clarinet, and another one in the same series of Fauré pieces. Some of them could be accessible to her, and I have vaguely in my head that one of the pieces in the Debussy book was set for Gr8 a while back so could keep her going a while, if she like Debussy of course! With the well known pieces, it might be a good exersize for her to listen to lots of recordings (even for different instruments) and compare the interpretations? Hearing how differently the same piece can be done might give her some confidence to try out her own ideas?

#11 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:31

I played Carol and Forlane with Ian G at Stalybridge !  Or was it a Leeds one, not sure now.  I assume Seer Green is accompanying you as its not one of mine this year.

I think her teacher is.

#12 Clarrie

Clarrie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 16:15

Thanks for all the great replies so far.  Definitely some food for thought.   :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grade 5, clarinet, music