Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 15 July 2014 - 13:59

I think all of them are well-arranged, just choose those that have the songs you would like to play. 

Actually I forgot to mention about Martha Mier's Jazz, Rags, and Blues series. A lot of these pieces are easy to sight-read and definitely qualify as cocktails. 

#17 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:00

Those books look good, but maybe harder to sightread?

If you are Diploma holder or a professional, should not be too difficult. These arrangements are quite forgiving in terms of playing the occasional wrong notes or playing them slower than they are supposed to. 

#18 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 15 July 2014 - 18:21

I highly recommend a book called "Jazz Tunes You've Always Wanted to Play" published by Chester Music. I have been playing pieces from it since grade 5 level and my piano teacher uses it when she plays in a cafe. It has all the jazz standards written out in straightforward arrangements.It contains nearly 50 pieces.

#19 jelly roll harris

jelly roll harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 284834

Posted 17 July 2014 - 19:01

I'd try something like Pam Wedgewood, who does books of cocktailly jazz. ( Funny Vakentine etc). They"d be well within your capabilities. If you can imorovise, try a real book and pull out some standards perhaps: Misty, Autumn Leaves rtc. Also try the usual suspects such as Lazy River, Riund Midnight, Caravan, Nught and Day. Also try the abrsm's jazz books for inspiration. Or what about some Oscar Peterson?

#20 Skylark

Skylark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Member: 888320
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 18 July 2014 - 21:00

I usually include some show songs, "Some enchanted evening", from South Pacific

Getting to know you, and shall we dance? from King and I,

Edelweiss, .

All the things you are

My way

When you wish upon a star

Cavatina

Moonlight serenade

Forgotten Dreams (Leroy Anderson)

Sunrise, sunset from Fiddler on the roof

Moon river

Somewhere over the rainbow

Some ragtime waltzes such as Augustan Club (Joplin)

Depending on the context, some light classics, Elgar's Chanson De Matin, the polotsvian Dances, Pathetique Sonata, etc.

Also Summertime, I got rhythm, theme from Rhapsody in blue as a piano reduction,

I also group them by either style or key, and segue five or six together. It takes some planning, and also I sometimes use reduced scores so I can put 2 or 3 on the stand at a time.

What is the event?

"Congratulations"

Anniversary waltz   . . . . .

#21 Spanish Pavane

Spanish Pavane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Member: 720213

Posted 19 July 2014 - 18:39

This is a very cautious and gentle comment, but there is a possibility that you do hours and hours of practice and hours and hours of research and collecting music, to say nothing of the time spent on the forum and possibly hours and hours of worrying... to find that on the night you are little more than musical wallpaper and no-one is listening.  It can be something of a letdown.... (Experience with my duet partner where we had worked on every nuance, dynamics, spent hours separately and together practising to find that we could hardly be heard, never mind listened to.... and that's not the only time...)

I'm sure it won't be like that.

On the positive side, you'll have all your collection ready for the next time!  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, jazz, blues, background, repertoire, diploma, performance