Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 19 December 2015 - 17:29

Have had a horrible cough for the last few hectic days of term which has resulted in a blood vessel bursting in one eye. Not dangerous or painful but all the white of the eye is a fierce dark red, making an alarming contrast wth my green eyes! The kids have been eyeing me with horror and telling me how scarey I look! Trouble is, tonight is my dance school's glitzy Christmas party to which I've been looking forward for weeks anticipating being glamorous. Shame it's not fancy dress, I could go as a bride of Frankenstein .....
But go I will!

You could always go with dark glasses to look glamorous and mysterious! :lol:

#17162 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 19 December 2015 - 23:01

We put together a parcel for my mother-in-law. I ordered a cushion with a "family tree" printed on it - just ten names superimposed on a round tree shape - and also got a canvas print made of her great big white-bearded son looking very vulnerable holding a devoted puppy - it's just beautiful, I know she'll love it. Anyway, we packaged them up together, but the post office said it was the wrong size for Parcelforce and said get is labelled for UPS and bring it back. Why they can't organise this instore I don't know, but they can't.

Went to the UPS website and seemed to need to jump through flaming hoops to sign up for it, so we decided to try another courier. We looked at [name deleted in case it breaks defamation rules] and it was really easy to do. I'd never used them before and very likely I won't again.

We were told it could be picked up today. It wasn't. I got on to their Live Chat (because they don't publish a phone number) and after "checking with the courier" I was told "we can assure you that your parcel will be collected today" This was at about 5:00

The trouble is, their tracking system said it was collected at 4 o'clock this afternoon and is now in the depot. Which kind of suggests that they now won't come for it, because, hey, they've already done so... I was in all day, and anyway, the parcel is still here.

Until I have evidence to the contrary I suspect that they had a lazy courier who went up the wrong road - we live at no. 30 in a road that goes up past 100, and there is a cul-de-sac  just off the high street with almost the same name (but "Xxx Close" instead of "Xxx Road") and doesn't go up to a no.30. I frequently get people ringing me to say they can't find our house and the first thing I ask is "are you in a cul-de-sac?" and re-direct them. There's no excuse, my phone number was on the directions, but I reckon he probably couldn't find no.30 and just gave up and said he'd collected it. It's Sunday tomorrow, I wonder what the chances are of him coming then. 

Amazon can handle Christmas. I'm still getting next day deliveries even at this stage. The facebook page of this particular courier company at the moment is just one long history of lost parcels, collection taking a week, things being damaged by extreme carelessness, and out-and-out lies. They say their couriers are all self-employed and use their own mobile phones. They probably pay them peanuts which would account for their getting monkeys. If we were told "sorry, we're delayed by two/three days becasue of the Christmas rush" I might have more sympathy as it's honest, but plain lying like that has made me :angry2:  :angry2:  :angry2:   

#17163 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1383 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:10

Have had a horrible cough for the last few hectic days of term which has resulted in a blood vessel bursting in one eye. Not dangerous or painful but all the white of the eye is a fierce dark red, making an alarming contrast wth my green eyes! The kids have been eyeing me with horror and telling me how scarey I look! Trouble is, tonight is my dance school's glitzy Christmas party to which I've been looking forward for weeks anticipating being glamorous. Shame it's not fancy dress, I could go as a bride of Frankenstein .....
But go I will!

You could always go with dark glasses to look glamorous and mysterious! :lol:

Luckily there was a lot of low-level red lighting so I kind of blended in!

#17164 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 21 December 2015 - 22:01

A couple of years ago someone at a dance group I go to touched me inappropriately (I later found out several other women have complained about similar experiences).  Since then I've avoided him as much as I possibly can.  I've just found out I've got an email from him asking about music lessons for a friend!  I'm of a mind to just delete said email without even replying to it but I suppose that would be rude - but I don't want to reply to him, even by email! :angry: :sick:

#17165 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6165 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 21 December 2015 - 23:22

A couple of years ago someone at a dance group I go to touched me inappropriately (I later found out several other women have complained about similar experiences).  Since then I've avoided him as much as I possibly can.  I've just found out I've got an email from him asking about music lessons for a friend!  I'm of a mind to just delete said email without even replying to it but I suppose that would be rude - but I don't want to reply to him, even by email! :angry: :sick:

Don't then- it might be seen as rude by some, but inappropriate touching is orders of magnitude worse. I'm fortunate that I've never had inappropriate behaviour directed at me that was worse than inappropriate words / emails, but that's been reason enough for me to cut people off. I decided it wasn't my problem if they thought I was rude. 

#17166 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3359 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 22 December 2015 - 00:27

Don't then- it might be seen as rude by some, but inappropriate touching is orders of magnitude worse. I'm fortunate that I've never had inappropriate behaviour directed at me that was worse than inappropriate words / emails, but that's been reason enough for me to cut people off. I decided it wasn't my problem if they thought I was rude. 

Yup. Totally agree.

#17167 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1911 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 22 December 2015 - 00:59

Yup. Totally agree.

Me too.  You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.  I would block his email address as well.   Surely his adult friend is capable of contacting you directly if he/she wants to enquire about lessons.

#17168 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:06

Thanks everyone, the support is really appreciated!  I have now blocked this person's email address and I'm feeling a lot better today than I was last night! :)

#17169 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 22 December 2015 - 22:37

Feeling meh.    Early bed I think.    Hope Thoughts don't keep me awake again.

:(

#17170 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4657 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 23 December 2015 - 13:41

Feeling meh.    Early bed I think.    Hope Thoughts don't keep me awake again.

:(

I hope you are feeling better soon Cyrilla. My arghhh is that I've accidentally just put a fuschia blouse and a cream blanket in the same wash. Livin' life on the edge here!  :wacko:

#17171 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 23 December 2015 - 14:14

I agree - just delete! I don't know how old you are but I can say that with age I am a lot less worried about offending people. A similar thing happened to me once and I continued to be polite and friendly to the offender -no idea why! I wish I had had the confidence to answer back or at least ignore years ago. I am also determined that my daughter should know that being polite isn't everything - it is ok not to be polite to certain individuals who do not respect us. My parents (although I am not blaming them) put a lot of store in being polite which meant I put up with some really shoddy behaviour because I didn't want to appear rude when I was younger.

#17172 Pianotastic

Pianotastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 78697
  • NW England

Posted 30 December 2015 - 23:42

How to tell someone who really should know better that all they're doing on facebook recently is spreading scammy rubbish (and I think she is actually spreading this, I don't think she's been hacked), when it's not technically my place to do so but I'm the only one that's likely to......!!!!!

#17173 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 31 December 2015 - 14:29

I agree - just delete! I don't know how old you are but I can say that with age I am a lot less worried about offending people. A similar thing happened to me once and I continued to be polite and friendly to the offender -no idea why! I wish I had had the confidence to answer back or at least ignore years ago. I am also determined that my daughter should know that being polite isn't everything - it is ok not to be polite to certain individuals who do not respect us. My parents (although I am not blaming them) put a lot of store in being polite which meant I put up with some really shoddy behaviour because I didn't want to appear rude when I was younger.

If this person has been touching a number of people inappropriately it suggests to me either a) that they know they are behaving badly but think they can get away with it or (much less likely) genuinely don't know that their behaviour is unacceptable. Either way, they need to be told that what they did/are doing is not on.  If you do not respond at all, the person concerned will have no idea why.  Given that the incident was two years ago, he may have completely forgotten about it, especially if he is a repeat offender.  Whilst I completely agree that you shouldn't worry about whether or not you are thought impolite, I do think it is worth telling him that his behaviour has caused this reaction.  I think I would have replied saying something like "Since your inappropriate behaviour two years ago I am not prepared to have any further contact with you.  If your friend wishes to contact me about lessons I will be happy to reply to him/her direct.

#17174 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 01 January 2016 - 15:56

New Year's Day and we have had some unexpected bad news.  :( Worried.

#17175 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17663 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 01 January 2016 - 16:09

New Year's Day and we have had some unexpected bad news.  :( Worried.

Sorry to hear this. Hope it all sorts out.  :thereThere: