Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 05 March 2019 - 16:30

The Robert Webb autobio was for my feminist book club, but I didn't attend that particular session as I'd only got as far as the second chapter. This despite (or maybe because!) the club stating that everyone is welcome even if you haven't read the book. :rolleyes:

#107 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 March 2019 - 16:56

The Robert Webb autobio was for my feminist book club, but I didn't attend that particular session as I'd only got as far as the second chapter. This despite (or maybe because!) the club stating that everyone is welcome even if you haven't read the book. :rolleyes:

Anyone can be a 'woman' now -you only have to say that you are. (Grrr)
It would be helpful to have read the book, though!

#108 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 05 March 2019 - 17:47

... a bit off-topic, but you book-readers might have an opinion. Have you noticed font-spread? I've found that in our local lending library, mostly in the children's section, a strong similarity between the fonts used on the covers of minor/recent authors and those on major/long-lasting authors with names starting with the same or adjacent letters. Patches of font creep out from the major author. It's especially noticeable where the authors write in the same genre.

I'm guessing this encourages people who've gone looking for well-known Jones to pick up new-author Johnson and give him/her a go. All a bit devious, I think.

#109 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 March 2019 - 18:49

Nearly finished the Chopin book I mentioned earlier. Quite the best 'composer' biography I have read.

Will have to study The Merchant of Venice now as we are studying it and reading through in my weekly literature class. Starting tomorrow. I will probably be Shylock

#110 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 March 2019 - 21:51

... a bit off-topic, but you book-readers might have an opinion. Have you noticed font-spread? I've found that in our local lending library, mostly in the children's section, a strong similarity between the fonts used on the covers of minor/recent authors and those on major/long-lasting authors with names starting with the same or adjacent letters. Patches of font creep out from the major author. It's especially noticeable where the authors write in the same genre.
I'm guessing this encourages people who've gone looking for well-known Jones to pick up new-author Johnson and give him/her a go. All a bit devious, I think.

Not sure if it is quite the same thing, but I do notice similarities of theme and design in book titles. For example there were Fifty Shades of all manner of things, (even Fifty Sheds...) variations on aga sagas, copy-cat novels about shopping, or The (something-or-other's) Wife. There have been a few knock-offs of that sort of title.
I've not been in the market for children's books in recent years but there seems to be a lot of similarity in the wizardy covers so I expect publishers are still riding the wave of Harry Potter and his imitators.

#111 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 06 March 2019 - 23:53

Not in Your Genes: The real reasons children are like their parents by Oliver James

#112 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7849 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:29

The Life Changing Magic of tidying Up (The Japanese art of decluttering and organising) by Marie Kondo.

Looks as if this is going to be a great help over the next year or two! I shall be following her advice as soon as I can find the time and the space! She even suggests throwing away her book once the tidying is finished!

#113 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:06

Have started 'The Go Between'  by L P Hartley as we are studying it after Easter in our Literature group.

#114 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:17

It would be interesting to know just how close the "real thing" is to the film, f#m. I'm always complaining that films take too many liberties.

I'm reading The Rice Mother, by Rani Manicka; very little dialogue, but an absorbing read.

#115 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:26

Currently - The Language of Kindness by Christie Watson, for my WI book club. I would not have chosen it, but v interesting and I know a lot more about nursing than I did! I'm also using it as an audiobook trial, borrowed from my local library. 

#116 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:54

It would be interesting to know just how close the "real thing" is to the film, f#m. I'm always complaining that films take too many liberties.

I'm reading The Rice Mother, by Rani Manicka; very little dialogue, but an absorbing read.

I never saw the film so difficult to say. I'm only on Chapter 4 though. Was surprised to see the 'Maids Head' hotel in Norwich mentioned, as we stayed there a couple of days a fortnight ago. The Maid is in fact an old Norfolk name for a Skate fish. Nothing do do with a person with head chopped off !

#117 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 02 April 2019 - 15:16

Music and Silence by Rose Tremain

#118 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 15:38

Music and Silence by Rose Tremain

After we have done 'The Go Between' as mentioned above we will be doing  Rose Tremains 'The Gustav Sonata'.  I read that a year or so ago

#119 Piedflutey

Piedflutey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 899199

Posted 02 April 2019 - 17:07

All things Dickens. I read all of his novels when at University except for Martin Chuzzlewit and Barnaby Rudge, so I thought I would remedy this.The former was notable for its depiction of America, land of the free...Dickens didn't like what he found there on his tour and so his portrayal of American society is mocking and unsympathetic. Barnaby Rudge is set against the No Popery Riots of 1780 - I was totally unaware of these so found it fascinating. Lots of memorable characters in both and sentences of such extreme length that my brain got a much needed literary workout. Now I'm on a roll and am reading Oliver Twist again!

#120 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 02 April 2019 - 22:48

When I did my degree we had to study three books and their film versions, for comparison.   One of them was The Go-Between.

:)