#1 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893127

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:34

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:06

Me and a friend are starting up a string quartet at school, with 2 violins, a viola and a double bass. I am just wondering if anyone could suggest any quartet music with a cello part that may suit being played on a double bass? I have played in quartets before with the cello player being replaced by a bass, but I'd like some new music ideas if anyone could suggest anything. Alternatively, any quartet music written for double bass instead of cello? We are all around grade 7/8 standard.

Thanks!

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 25 January 2016 - 13:33

I would have thought most quartets would adapt as the double bass plays an octave lower that the cello. When daughter (a violinist )was at school, and in a quartet, I remember them playing Haydn one in F Op74 No 2, the four of them were Grade 7/8,  later they did the famous Borodin slow movement  (Is it no 2 3rd movement)

#3 earplugs

earplugs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Member: 7064

Posted 05 February 2016 - 17:54

In theory, yes, a double bass can play parts written for cello, depending on the ability of the player and difficulty of the part.  They can either play as written and sound an octave below the composers intentions or transpose up an octave to sound at the intended pitch but with a different tone colour.   Bass is a considerably less agile instrument than a cello especially for intermediate players and also a lot of string quartet music requires a cellist of post grade 8 level up.  So I suggest trying things with a relatively easy cello part to start with.  A bit of a generalisation but I have always felt the young Mozart didn't expect too much virtuosity from cellists so maybe start with early Mozart quartets which you should find printable online to have a go with. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: double bass, violin, viola, quartet, chamber music, ensemble