Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 May 2019 - 16:51

It's one of those days. I sat on the very clearly marked no smoking bench outside the hospital, only to realise that the couple already on it, with a really tiny baby in a pram, were just lighting up. They're sitting there blowing the smoke over their poor infant. I bravely said that the bench is no smoking (as is the while of the hospital grounds, of course) and they just said 'oh well'. And dropped their fag ends on the floor when they'd finished.

There are WORDS for those kinds of people. Unfortunately the forum censor would obliterate them all. Well done for speaking up.

#19847 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 15 May 2019 - 16:57

A friend of mine is now chewing nicotine tablets in an attempt to quit vaping.

He is an alcoholic (dry for many years), so it's not really amusing. I'll have to have a heart to heart with him next time I see him.

#19848 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:27

A few years back when I was at our local hospital quite a bit (nothing negative or serious), I got really irritated by them as the entire hospital grounds were riddled with smoking - there were really no smoke-free areas, and the bus-stops, benches and around the little snack shop were the worst. The reason was that the hospital administrators had decided that smoking was so unconditionally evil that they would not permit it on site anywhere, and therefore refused to designate a smoking area. With no smoking area available, smokers obviously just smoked wherever they wanted. I personally think that people with such a dismal lack of understanding of basic human psychology shouldn't be allowed to run hospitals.

#19849 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:42

The hospuital I was at has donme the same, and it has actually reduced smoking in the grounds on the whole, as theer's no confusion about where you can smoke - it's nowhere, and there are big signs to that effect. They must have done some enforcement work when they brought in the new rule. You even see a few hardy addicts being wheeled outside the hospital grounds with their drip in tow to have a cigarette. How sad. But the two yesterday were just horrible, especially with their poor tiny baby in tow. How is that even allowed? When I think of the harmless things that people get in a stew about, but someone is allowed to blow smoke over their tiny baby perfectly legally. Seem s mad to me.

#19850 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:07

Had to call a government agency today. Oh my, what a long message, before I got the SIX menu choices, none of them applicable, and some of them very long and complicated. I chose one, got a brief recorded message and was cut off. Tried again, same great long message and six menus. I chose one at random, since none were applicable, only to get a new message saying they were busy and there was a really long wait. Why didn't they say that BEFORE the great long message and menu choices? Grr.

I have to deal with a branch of the civil service in the my day job and EVERYTHING takes forever with them. On top of that some of their decisions are downright silly.

At least they won't be our customer for much longer and I'll never have to deal with them again. Hopefully my employer finds me a better customer to deal with in my next role or something internal to work on.

Having to plough through benefit claims for my mother and it's ridiculous what isn't online these days especially considering that a lot of people have LPA for relatives and would be perfectly able to navigate an online system.

You can't notify that someone on Attendance Allowance has entered a care home or hospital online, you have to phone (wouldn't that be a simple one!)

You can't claim Pension Credit except by phoning and then it involves a follow up call because it's done in 2 stages.

The problem is I have a lot of information online so need to sit with my personal laptop while I make the call, don't have time to catch them early before I leave for the train and by the time I get back there is only 20mins before they close at 6pm, not even open Saturday mornings. They have no concept of people who actually work full-time for a living. Even if they opened late a couple of nights a week or Sat mornings it would help but a lot of it could have been put online, even if it needed a follow up call to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's it would save a lot of time on the phone by the customer and the staff.

Don't get me started on British Gas - agreed to smart meter subject to Fri appointment (easiest day for me to work from home), letter confirming appointment arrived - preferred Friday appointment confirmed, except it was for my mother's address. Phoned up, they couldn't find my account, passed to another dept. who eventually managed to locate my account, delete the appointment at my mother's house but then couldn't re-assign me the appointment slot just made vacant and she is only 50 yards away. Tried requesting another Fri and she couldn't find one up to October which presumably was as far as her system went so cancelled it.

#19851 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:32

And don't you just hate it when part of the insanely long recorded mesage when they answer ther phone is to suggest that you use their website? Do they not realise that anyone who could would obviously do that, and that if they improved their website far fewer people would have to call them?!

#19852 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 16 May 2019 - 13:15

Agree with all of you regarding the smoking.  I don't mind the smell of a cigar or a pipe, but cigarettes are what's popular here in the States (we don't dare call cigarettes fags!) and I find cigarette smoke to be absolutely vile.  And even cigars and pipes are unhealthy.  My father was what we call a chain smoker, and he would probably still be alive today if he had given it up.

#19853 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 13:32

It's clearly one of those weeks. I've just had a message that travellers have taken over the car park of the church where I run my dementia singing group. Apparently some groups have gone ahead but have received abuse from the travellers (the police station is directly acrosss the road but I don't doubt they're all busy out buying doughnuts and parking on double yellow lines, another aaargh that I saw this week). With our clients being old and frail we'll almost certaibnly have to cancel, as the church has been told it'll take longer than until Tuesday to get them evicted. I feel so sorry for the church, who treat us so generously, and also for my clients who'll miss their precious singing session.

#19854 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 17 May 2019 - 16:22

smoking: I've nothing against hospitals doing a universal smoking ban if they enforce it. A universal ban with not a peep of an attempt at enforcement outside the building just means everyone's going to smoke wherever they feel like it - functionally it's worse than designating smoking areas, and the outcome is very much the same as no ban whatsoever. Blowing smoke over a kid or baby should, in my view, be treated as assault. My pet hate is seeing someone strolling down the street waving their cigarette at hip height where they aren't breathing the smoke at all, and some mum is pushing her pushchair along just behind, with a toddler getting the whole lot straight in delicate young lungs.

So sad, Banjogirl, for your dementia group.

Government departments, civil-servants, and telephones: an area where service really does vary from zero to nine out of ten. Some are absolute gems, but there are departments and individuals out there that are so blitheringly incompetent that one wonders how they even put their own socks on in the morning.

#19855 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 17 May 2019 - 17:28

I'm beginning to think my son, who is allegedly 'gifted' will not survive next year at university. I have tried and failed to teach him how to cook a frozen pizza. Today I went in a cupboard in the kitchen to find some rubbish. I asked the kids about it, and he said "there was no bin so I didn't know what to do with it"! The bin was being washed as it had something growing at the bottom. Did he think to put it in one of the other bins in the house? Or take it to the outside bin? Or even just leave it on the worktop? What on earth would make him do that - he's almost 18!

#19856 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 18:17

I'm beginning to think my son, who is allegedly 'gifted' will not survive next year at university. I have tried and failed to teach him how to cook a frozen pizza. Today I went in a cupboard in the kitchen to find some rubbish. I asked the kids about it, and he said "there was no bin so I didn't know what to do with it"! The bin was being washed as it had something growing at the bottom. Did he think to put it in one of the other bins in the house? Or take it to the outside bin? Or even just leave it on the worktop? What on earth would make him do that - he's almost 18!

He'll be fine. He may get scurvy like I think one of mine did, but in the end he'll work out what to do. Sadly, I find that girlfriends are often a catalyst for an improvement!

#19857 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 17 May 2019 - 18:34

He may get scurvy like I think one of mine did, but in the end he'll work out what to do. Sadly, I find that girlfriends are often a catalyst for an improvement!

Whenever I suspect I'm not getting enough vitamin C, I get in some cheap generic supermarket Redoxon (1000mg) and have a quarter of one per day.

I used to love grapefruit, but I can't eat them now because I'm on statins. Which is an Aaaargh, so it's not thread drift.

#19858 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 18 May 2019 - 15:03

This could almost be my dad- one of the cleverest people I know but he probably would fail to cook frozen pizza. If not for my mum I dread to think what state he'd be in

#19859 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:21

It's when they go to university that you find out how much they actually know. We had some desperate phone calls in son's first year that included:

"My fish has gone brown. Is it OK to eat it?"

"How do I cook an egg?"

....and that was after we went through a spell of getting offspring to cook dinner on a Sunday - one did the main course, the other made the pudding.

#19860 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 19 May 2019 - 18:35

My beautiful little house still hasn't let sad.png

My whole future/new life depends upon this so, despite having worked a lovely afternoon in an idyllic setting, The Bag is a tad melancholy sad.png

BP x